first time hatching indian runner ducks (and ducks in general)

my brooder setup is a 60x60 cm wooden box with a 250W about 70-80 cm above the ground, temps go from 29 to 33-34 *C
Is this s box large enough so that you aren't heating the whole thing?

I find, with quail, that if I have to help them out they die anyways.
I no longer help quail.

not sure, but i guess it all started with that one duckling who was not using one leg (???) one thing i noticed though is the ones that died were the ones that needed to be pulled out of the egg by me.
I seem to rember a post talking about the hatch process. Said not to do that under any circumstances cos it prevented something crucial from taking its course... cant remember now what it was. But I had one survive, the other died. Its a lottery.

I seem to rember a post talking about the hatch process. Said not to do that under any circumstances cos it prevented something crucial from taking its course... cant remember now what it was. But I had one survive, the other died. Its a lottery.
Yeah, I helped chickens, geese and quails hatch and all of them survived, guess I've just been lucky. They would have died either way, so at least I am happy I could give them a shot at life :)

Is this s box large enough so that you aren't heating the whole thing?

I find, with quail, that if I have to help them out they die anyways.
I no longer help quail.
Unfortunately I am heating the whole thing, but I added some boxes they can get into that will provide shade and lower temperatures.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the two babies @Miss Lydia
IMG_20190619_195744_2.jpg
IMG_20190619_195707_7.jpg
IMG_20190619_195714_5.jpg
IMG_20190619_195740_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom