First time hatching.

Gypsi

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 20, 2010
North Texas - chickens 10 yrs
I built my own incubator. I did not get on here first - big mistake. Am almost 2 weeks in and my temps have been at 99 (not forced air) and humidity about 65%. Am bringing the temp up a bit and trying to lower humidity. Going to get an x on each egg on my next turn here shortly. So glad I finally logged in - to see how long it takes to incubate. My hens hatched a few last year but once 2 hatched they abandoned the rest, and without an easy to build incubator, oh gee I ended up failing to hatch the rest too.

anyway, glad to be back.

Gypsi

Welcome back! your welcome to come hatch with us INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come hatch, learn, Chat, Meet new Friends!

yep that temp is low and humidity high, sounds like you found some reads!
wink.png
pop on the thread we can all chat!

Good luck!

I have made my own too. I keep my hand turned still air incubator at 102. I don't bother with humidity. They still hatch pretty damp ( look for my water dishes.)

the little dish below is all I use till lock down, so almost a dry hatch. Copper penny sterilizes water (1982 or younger)

18x18'' box lined with foam 15 w bulb. 70 degree room.

I have gotten almost 100% hatches out of these but my last hatch was 16/17 but we had 3 power outages too.

well so far my low temp has been 97 (or maybe 95) but never for very long my high temp 109 was definitely less than 2 hours and probably less than that. I heat my house with a woodstove, and have the incubator in my fish room which is the most humid room of my house, but less humid at night and we did have a chilly few days around the time I started the hatch. then it got hot in the house the night of the 109, since I checked them at about 12:30 and they were ok and found the 109 at 3:30 am I don't think it was too long. I have a 15 watt bulb in there at the moment. I also have an 11 watt available. I think I am getting the highs because the water in the sealed containers is acting as a heat bank, that or else the darn bulb is fluctuating on heat emission? Probably the water. If this was a normal december this would have been easier.

My first homemade hatch I used 2 much water. 3/6 hatched I think. my second I used even more water because everyone on here was worried about humidity.1/5 hatched, and the only one to hatch was a white egg (the only one I could candle, so I was taking it out alot to candle, newbie probably over candling saved that chick. Then I tried my first dry hatch got my first 6/6 hatch. been doing well ever since. (my current bator is larger than my others but hatches well, with just a bit of water)

I took all the open water out of the incubator. Last bowl last night, to get the humidity down farther. Sealed water is just temperature stabilization but when it got over 70 here last week and muggy I didn't put the a/c on (it is december) and that caused my temperature spike and maybe contributed to humidity. Now I go into lock down on day 18?

photos have to wait, have to go get license plates and bake for bee club social.

I like to remind newbies a pip doesn't mean ready to hatch. people can be overly ready to assist. when a pip happens a chick is catching it's breath. and could be 24 hr. before finishing the hatch. but the zip happens quick when the chick is ready. If 24hrs does pass before hatch from a pip ask me again before helping. (I have some tips.) Helping before a pip happens is really not recommended! Your hatch may be delayed because of the temp.
these 6/6 chicks hatched on day 23 (it was probably low temps)

the 11 watt bulb I put in 3 hours ago turned out to be a 25 watt (same size, tiny print on rim, I knew I had one of each but in a hurry to lower temp, fortunately I left the lid loose and partway open. If any chicks hatch it will be a miracle, was back at 113 when I got home. Now I have an 11 watt in, and we have a cold front coming after I am supposed to start lockdown and the last time I had an 11 watt in i could barely keep the thing at 97 degrees. may have to dig through the shed and get a bigger cooler and move the eggs into it with a bigger bulb? I have 1 day until lock down. Can anyone tell me how to candle with a flashlight? or something I have in the house?

I do suspect any excess dampness has been remedied. The humidity hasnt been over 30% much since the temp started going up and it is 24% now. I am very nervous about this whole lockdown thing. I have a big old plastic cooler I can use a larger lamp in and have more room for the eggs, even has a missing drain cap so I can run the wire through the side. But no window. If I have to build a bigger incubator tonight is probably a good time, it is warm in the house and certainly warm in the bator with the eggs. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom