First Time Hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ksct, May 19, 2010.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    We had a successful hatch that started sunday afternoon. We are NEW to this and set 14 eggs. We didn't candle becuase I forgot and DH didn't know to do it...
    8 hatched and 1 had to be culled. Couldn't stand, and I think there was some nerve damage to the brain/head. one of the HARDEST decisions we ever had to make. DH took care of it and I have no idea how etc... i cried. [​IMG]
    BUT aside from that I think we did quite well! we're very happy and I don't want to give them away. (we hatched them for some friends of ours) they're pure Buff orpingtons and soooo lovely! I had forgotten how much I love them at this age. lol (1-2 days old) they're funny.
    I'm attaching just a couple pics to this thread becuase they're pics off my phone. the others are at home on my computer and I will add them later.

first egg hatching EVER! little beak sticking out. this started about 1pm Sunday afternoon. When DH was up @ 2am, still no hatch. When we got up @ 5am.... 2 chicks!
    [​IMG]

This is egg #3 or #4 I was unable to see hatch. DH sent this to me @ work. [​IMG] luckily he was home early those 2 days! This one was resting on the egg next to it.
    [​IMG]

2. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Congratulations![​IMG]

4. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    thanks! I think we're going to do it again.
    DH would like to hatch some phesant eggs (a guy near us does this and releases them to increase the population around here) so we thought that'd be cool.
    and i'm dying to get easter egger... chicks... but I may have to try with eggs because I can't get any chicks locally. [​IMG]

5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    So darling! And congrats on a great first hatch. . . . 'course, now you have the hatching disease, sorry.[​IMG]

6. ksct

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    acutally when I started telling people we had chicks, I was already saying that I understand how/why people keep doing it.
    I DEF have the hatching disease.
    They're leaving tonight... [​IMG] the new owners counldn't come get them last night but they're coming tonight. makes me sad.
    I love my girls (they're almost a year old now) but I LOVE them at a few days old! so crazy and funny to watch! gonna miss them.
    DS woudl give up the tv to sit with the chicks and watch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by