First time incubating - so excited!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Xmasbaby75, Nov 23, 2015.

1. revans2003

revans2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    I just finished hatching for the first time and I will give you my input.

I did not touch the humidity until lockdown, it hovered between 25 and 40 until then and all of my eggs developed though not all hatched. I did not see veins in all of my eggs until around day 12 or 13, I had some at 7, some at 8 more on 10 etc, so don't give up. The candling pictures look like mine, so I think you are all set.

I stressed and stressed about the humidity prior to lockdown, but then I just decided to let nature take its course and did not touch them until lockdown. I recommend this as it gives peace of mind and works fine for lots of people. This way you can focus on the temperature of the incubator and building your brooder [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. hodor

hodor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2015
    Australia
    I'm new too and doing chickens. I believe they are fairly similar only with slightly different temperature, humidity and length of incubation.

I can't see on my phone, but by day seven you should be able to see blood vessels inside the eggs and a black spot that I understand if the eye/head forming. If the egg appears clear then it is likely not fertile. don't give up at day seven on an eye however, I had one I thought was a clear at day seven but at day 14 it was just as advanced as the others. Maybe just my rookie candeling and I missed it.

I can see on my phone some of the air sacs aren't shaped correctly (common with posted eggs). These ones will have a higher chance of problems hatching.

If you see a ring of blood and nothing else the embryo has died for some reason.

You can mark the air sac by tracing a line at this stage, if you didn't that's OK just do it at your next candeling.

So keep all the eggs in there and keep going!

1 person likes this.
  3. Xmasbaby75

Xmasbaby75 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2015
    RI

Thank you both. I'll candle again at day 14 and see where we are then.

4. Xmasbaby75

Nov 16, 2015
    RI
    I candled the eggs again yesterday (day 14). It seems there are about 5 really good ones where you can see veins and some movement, 2 that are questionable (I might see veins, but hard to tell), and perhaps 7 "bad" ones - but we really don;'t know if they are bad or we just can't see because of all the caked on mud. I can't really see the air sac on any of them. I think our candling system may not be bright enough. Also, what does a blood ring look like? Does it look like a veiny circle? Not sure if we saw one or not. Since this is our first time, we are going to leave all the eggs in there just in case. At what point should they come out and be considered a lost cause, is there a max amount of days to wait? Here is a pic of one of our good eggs.

[​IMG]

5. Xmasbaby75

Nov 16, 2015
    RI
    Just bumping so questions can be seen.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

That one sure looks good. lets see if @caesargirl or @WVduckchick is on today both experienced.

1 person likes this.
  7. phobi

phobi Just Hatched

Dec 10, 2015
    Columbia, MO
    Just read your post, we are awaiting our eggs in the mail and very excited! Let us all know on how the hatching goes when the time comes! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm mobile at the moment, hard to tell from the pic. Will look again when I get back to the big screen

2 people like this.
  9. Xmasbaby75

Nov 16, 2015
    RI

Thank you both

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Howdy! First of all, it looks like your pic is with the light shining up into the more pointy end. The air cell should be on the fat end. Did you try shining the light from the top down into the egg? That direction gives you a much better view. The pointy end can vary a lot at day 14. I do see active blood vessels, so that's great! Try candling the other way, and let us know what you see!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by