First time incubation? Help **please read**

iamjason

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Hi, My uncle gave me four chicken eggs, I have no clue, what breed, and today is the 19th day, and I check everyday if there still alive, i only have two left now. but i made a homemade incubator with a styrofoam cooler/ice chest, with a light and dimmer, and water dish, but like i said, today is the 19th day, and there expected to hatch Sunday(21st day) but there are some veins, but there is a shadow that is moving, but i research alot online, like the development chart, to compare..but my chicks(in egg) dont look as big as the pictures or videos on youtube of candling. and and theres a little room in the eggs, but i want to know if there gonna hatch, and is this normal. is there suppose to be a little room in egg?

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like they're going to hatch. If all you can see is a few veins and a little shadow then they died early in incubation. By now they should have almost the whole egg be a big shadow.

Candling can be difficult if you don't know what you are looking for. You should have the egg turner on lock down if Sunday is the 21st. Up the humidity about 10% more than it was during incubation and DON'T open the lid of the incubator. Leave it alone until they both hatch and dry off in side the incubator. If they are still moving inside the egg, than chances are they will get to hatch point. But don't be opening the lid anymore. During the next two days, the eggs need to rest and stay well hydrated so the chicks don't stick to the shells. After hatch, don't take them out until they are completely dried off which could take hours. And wait until both eggs have zipped open before opening the lid of the incubator so as not to dry out the remaining unhatched egg. Good luck!

Quote:
Do you have a thermometer in there? What temp, it may have been low, if they are moving there is life, but off on the count maybe due to low temp.

All I have inside the ice chest is a fan, two water bowls and a thermometer..and a light on top. I couldnt find a humidity thermometer...

Quote:
agreed. But what you're describing seems small. at least my interpretation. but if its moving than that's a very good sign. Since I can't see it myself its hard to tell.

im gonna explain this the best i can.. theres two eggs. there both brown/tan. but there is a small one not, not like tiny tiny, and theres a large one, its kind of long, but the smaller one, i can see a shadow moving really clearly, its not really moving a bunch, but its bobbs a few times here and there. but the shadow goes all around the egg, but a little gap about this big
|-----------------------| actual size and theres a little bundle of veins there. but theres a little thick vein, at the top of the shadow, and its curved, the shadow is about this close from hitting the air cell |----| actual size... but around that shadow theres this yellowish spottyness around where the gap is.. the other eggs.. the long one..i can barely see through it.. it has a red tint to it, but you can see a little veins.. but not many,,but the chick moves.. please help. i really want these babys to hatch.
sad.png

please if anyone has any info about last post ^

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom