First time: Incubation Lavender Orpington Rooster w/ Welsummer and EE

Pics

Millsa

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 26, 2022
Im starting this thread just to document what happens with my first ever incubation. I have already made MANY mistakes which i will list out. First mistake, took the VERY early eggs from my hens. Like egg #3 and up … eggs one and two: i used to check fertility - i have 3 hens.. so 6 eggs.. 5 out of 6 were fertile.
So i started out with 8 eggs in the incubator. This is my second mistake, my incubator is a cheap POS i got from amazon … so one of the eggs broke - because it got wedged between the side wall and the roller. This was on day 3 or 4 so i used it as an opportunity to see what was happening inside. You could see the cells from the blastoderm were about the size of a quarter. I WISH i took a photo of this before i disposed of the egg… dumb mistake. Today is day 8. I have 3 Welsummer eggs and 4 EE eggs. all of the welsummers show a defined air sac. One of the EEs you can barely see the air sac and the other EE eggs you dont see anything at all besucase the pigmentation is so thick..the light doesnt penetrate. im hopeful that the EE eggs are doing their thing. another baffling thing has been trying to keep the humidity in the right zone… i read somewhere 45% - 60% is good and then 70% for lock down? My humidity fluctuates wildly.. and i notice in the mornings… the temperature is often a lot cooler than it is during the day. It’s goes down to 35C. I have it programmed to stay around 38.1C so im not sure why the temperature is getting so low except that the whole house is cooling in the night? The “oldest“ egg was 10 days old before it went into the incubator. Most of the eggs were still warm from laying when i brought them into the house. They sat in an egg carton pointy side down until i had 8 eggs. It took 10 days To accumulate 8 eggs. * now they are laying more regularly - if this hatch fails. I’ll be able to gather more eggs. I will also upgrade to a better incubator. Although i feel like now i am able to keep the temp and humidity more stable After a frustrating beginning. I can only imagine that egg temperatures fluctuate in the wild when hens leave the nest … and leave the clutch .. i know they aren’t supposed to but THEY DO.

Attachments

• 794B3797-7E24-400A-9DC4-1D5A64CA8EB8.jpeg
    794B3797-7E24-400A-9DC4-1D5A64CA8EB8.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 127
You have fun eggs.
My chick's dad was a red EE mix (maybe golden laced wyandotte)Not a big rooster, but not bantam.
One hen was a silver EE and her chick was silver but with a golden head. One was a steel egger hen with blue feathers and her chick is dark blue...
1zzcc.PNG

I think the silver chick will be silver with yellow head feathers.
My other chicks have been either black or chipmunk.
The below chicks have the same dad, and a Spitzenhauben mom.
1zzf.PNG

You have fun eggs.
My chick's dad was a red EE mix (maybe golden laced wyandotte)Not a big rooster, but not bantam.
One hen was a silver EE and her chick was silver but with a golden head. One was a steel egger hen with blue feathers and her chick is dark blue...
View attachment 3413610
I think the silver chick will be silver with yellow head feathers.
My other chicks have been either black or chipmunk.
The below chicks have the same dad, and a Spitzenhauben mom.
View attachment 3413619
Thank you so much for your pictures.. its very fun to see the chicks.. i hope my chicks come out AS CUTE… :)

It’s day 15 here. just took the rollers out and put them all in pointy side down.. its hard to tell if there is development - i dont see new movement for a couple days now … because of my egg shell color its hard to tell if theres a bird filling the egg or a bloodline or what? so - im just going to keep on keepin on. humidity and temperature have been more consistent the last 10 days or so now that i really understand how my little hotbox works better. next week - when we get to day 21 im going to start putting NEW eggs aside to do another incubation. If my eggs hatch - GREAT i can give the next incubated chicks to my friend whos flock is down on ONE chicken. of course if this batch fails.. im going to want to start a new batch. i need more hens! my three to one ratio hen/rooster is not sustainable. my roo is also getting to be a real jerk, i think if he had more hens at the height of his maturity he might just be TIRED OUT and not notice if im coming or going. HAHAH.
This is so much fun! I'm 8 days from hatching. One of the 13 (my lucky number) looks iffy after candling last night, but 12 look good. I'm liking this NR360 and the GoVee bluetooth hygrometer. Will start next hatch when this one is done. I have the dehumidifier in "cellar" on a timer and it stays real close to 70% at 60-65F in there. Hope I'm doing it right...?? How exciting - love your updates Millsa.

You've done a great job of documenting the egg babies' progress. 20" snow and no electric power for 4 days =Wow!
One question, you mentioned that the first chick started pipping at bottom of its egg. When you candled during lockdown, did you make sure to put the egg back into the incubator in the exact same position you removed it? You may know this already, but the reason I ask is that during lockdown, chicks begin maneuvering into hatching position. If eggs are rotated during this time, chicks will need to use more energy to move into hatching position again. (A broody hen stops turning her eggs during the last 3 days too.) Or sometimes chicks don't re-orient their position at all, and pip at other places than the top of egg. Either way, it requires lots of strength and energy to escape their eggs. Just wanted to say that in case you didn't know.

.However many chicks hatch sucessessfully, they are certainly tough little boys and girls to survive their trials during the past 21 days. :fl that you will have cute little chicks soon.

Last night before bed, i checked the humidity and temperature and was happy … i decided to candle the eggs again using the candler that is built into the incubator. Same results really - i could see the Welsummer eggs air sacs and not the EE air sacks. And ONE of the Welsummer eggs you could see a clearly defined eye and the embryo was wiggling around quite a bit. The other 2 Welsummer eggs look like they are beyond the stage where you see the eye… but you see that the bird is filling the egg? it looks a lot like an egg that quit but you dont see the dark line.. so im going to say they havent quit. Nothing is smelling. Im so proud of the roosters and hens fertility. Mother Nature is so amazing. I put the eggs back and wished them all a good night. Im hopeful that more are developing And very grateful for the “look” inside the egg.. today i suspect you wont see the eye in that egg i could see through. Im glad i checked.

This is my viable egg. I have a video of it moving but cant figure out how to upload that.. you can no longer see the eye but its undulating!

Attachments

• 434F4C5D-DE54-473E-A3C3-816016E570AA.jpeg
    434F4C5D-DE54-473E-A3C3-816016E570AA.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom