First time incubator hatch, ducklings due today

Junie

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have to say thank you to everyone for all the great information that I have gathered using this site. but still more questions.
I have moscovy duck eggs hatching in my incubator, one little guy has pipped externally but that was 24 hours ago and I have opened the pip site so that he can breath today. He seems really cramped in there. I am so tempted to try and help him but I dont want to harm him (or her). Should I just back off and keep watching? I have about 40 eggs (ducks) due to hatch in the next few days and about 10 chicken eggs. I know, I know I am crazy but just love these little guys.

I had about 24 eggs sitting under my mummy duck about 12 weeks ago and when they where hatching she was tramping all over them and killed a few, so I took 9 of the eggs that where left and luckily 7 of my eggs are now 10 week old darling duckies.
Anyway any info on how long these little guys can go in inside the shell would be appreciated.

The incubator is running at 37.5 degrees and 59 humidity.

Thank you all again
Junie

Not crazy awesome

Ok it has been 24 hours that means you can help

Gently with your finger make the hole bigger

Is it near his beak or did you just make a hole

If it is near his beak try to make it as big as his head

Then just keep making the hole bigger

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Can you bump up the humidity in the incubator a little bit? I like to hatch at around 65%, but if you can get it up to 70+ that would be good too. It's just to stop them drying out too much and get stuck in the egg. If your little duckling pipped externally 24 hours ago it should start progressing soon, but if it's stuck, you may need to help it zip the shell. A fellow member put together a fantastic article with pics that explains the assisting process way better than I can, so have a look here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching If needed, it will tell you what to do. Best of luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sumi X2 you need to up that humidity to 65% or 70%. The higher humidity keeps them from sticking to the shell when they pip and it also helps to soften the shell and inner membrane so they can zip out.

When they do pip, (break thru the shell to breath) they can sit like this for 24+ hours before zipping out of the egg. So don't panic and think you need to bust them out for at least a couple days. They are busy absorbing the last the yolk and detaching from the shell at this time.

Definitely stop by our ducks section too for more help with your ducklings. Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom