First time layers.... I think our girls mad!!

LIL-HEN-lover

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
hi, i have 7 girls ranging from 10 week to 25 weeks. On the very day i was complaining that we were never going to get an egg as none of them were laying, i went to the coop and found an egg. Well it was like christmas as we were sooo excited.

These next 3 days days though..... Nothing!! Gertie, who we think laid the egg keeps going into the nest box at around 1.30pm for about an hour, then comes out singing the egg sond as if she thinks she has laid an egg but all we find when we get there is the rubber egg i keep in there to encourage them. Could it possible that she thinks it was actually her that laid that rubber egg? lol.
hmm.png

I'm convinced my girls (all new to laying) are all insane. My leghorns try to intimidate each other out of of their nesting boxes with a pterodactyl scream. Then they move in to the others former box. I'm convinced that one of them is only happy if she's sitting on two eggs. I had to remove the plastic eggs because my BR's were too easily fooled by them. They did the same thing yours do--sing and strut out of the coop thinking they have done something terrific, except all they have left is the plastic egg in the nest. I'm hoping that eventually they will settle down. Good luck.

Lol. I'm glad it's not just my girls that are crazy!! I'm going to take the rubber egg out of the box today before Gertie goes to the nest box and see if anything changes.

She comes out so proud singing the egg song........... All for a rubber egg!! lol

so, I removed the rubber eggs yesterday and got up this morning to a nice real egg....... result!!

Even if it was in poo tray instead of the nest it was still real but she couldn't of been as excited as when she 'laid' the rubber egg as there was no egg song this time. lol.

Good luck all and thanks for your comments.

Back
Top Bottom