1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FIRST TIME LOCK DOWN!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickaroo3, Feb 26, 2012.

1. chickaroo3

chickaroo3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    I have to admit I am a little nervous here! Tomorrow is the big lock down day! From all that I have read there are only a couple changes....the egg turner has to come out, the eggs are laid on the wire mesh with the larger end slightly elevated, and I need to raise the humidity level...what should the level be...I believe I read around 70% is this correct?

I am gonna be really excited when they start pipping and even more nervous!....From what I understand I need to leave them alone and let them dry after they hatch...

Is this correct? ...Is there anything else that I need to know or any works of wisdom?

2. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    I had my first lockdown this past Friday. My first pip was today. :) It sounds like you've got it right. I didn't let my humidity get over 65% tho. Just from what all I've been reading.

I wish you the best and look forward to your posts.

I'm trying to hatch mine in egg cartons leaving them in the position that they were in in the tray. I'm curious how it turns out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by