First time momma

TeachMEchickens

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2023
20230902_113049.jpg
My bantam silver duckwing (?) hatched her first eggs a couple of months ago. I think the father is a porcelain booted bantam. All of the chicks have feathered feet. I also have a silkie rooster with feathered feet, but none of the chicks have an extra toe. I also have silver duckwing and golden sebright (?) roosters who could be potential fathers but they don’t have feathered feet (nor does momma). The chicks are two predominantly white ones and three predominantly gold ones. I think the white ones are cockerels and gold are pullets, but not 100% sure yet. Any thoughts on how these genetics mix? Who is the father? Is there a sex link to the colors? I'm also assuming that she is the mother of all of them, but maybe some were eggs from other hens? They are free range and momma found a really good hiding place for her nest, so I never saw the eggs. She is my only bantam hen, though, and I think these chicks seem to all be bantam-sized. (Momma is the predominantly gray one in the middle in the picture.)

A Silkie or Sebright should pass on some other dominant traits that these chicks don't have, and you wouldn't get gold-colored chicks from a Silver Duckwing crossed to a Silver Duckwing, so the d'Uccle must be the father. Porcelain Booted bantam rooster crossed to Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantam hen does make sexlinks. The females cannot inherit silver from their mother, so they only inherit gold from their father and end up that buff-gold color, while the males do inherit silver and end up being yellowish white. I do believe they are all from the same parents as they look like what I would expect from that cross due to the dominance and recessiveness of the parents' traits.

Back
Top Bottom