First Time Muscovy Eggs

muscovy573

Chirping
Dec 21, 2016
Hey all,

I have my very first cluster of eggs (9 as of this morning). The mom is off and on the nest and hasn't shown too much interest in sitting for more than a few minutes. I made the decision to hatch the eggs out this year and grow our flock! Is there anything i should be looking out for? I myself am a first time duck owner, but have raised and grown out chickens. I have a brooder box ready to go, but have heard the moms can usually handle their young? Any pointers and help is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Let her do her thing she may not be finished laying her clutch yet. Once she gets the number she is happy with then you'll see her get serious.

Always a good idea to have back up plan just in case but Muscovies are very good mamas.
That’s one of the reasons I chose the breed! She popped out 2 more today so we’re at 11. I’ve heard they can have up to 30?!?! My goodness. Super excited to see what’s gunna happen. What’s the typical time for her to lay a full clutch and hopefully lay??

Depends on how many she is happy with could be up to 30 but she'd have to be a big girl to be able to brood that many.

I mark mines eggs so when they do become broody I take the oldest away till I have the amount of eggs I want her to hatch not her. So how many ducklings is good for a first time mama usually 8-10.

Don't make the mistake I made. I started with a young drake and 5 hens. I checked the nests daily (it's so fun!). No more than 6 eggs in each nest...I thought. Ha! Each hen walked off her nest followed by around 12 sweet little fluffy ducklings. Apparently math is not my strong suit, I ended up with over 90 ducks by the end of the summer. :eek:
The mamas are great, and sneaky. :D We now practice egg removal birth control.

Don't make the mistake I made. I started with a young drake and 5 hens. I checked the nests daily (it's so fun!). No more than 6 eggs in each nest...I thought. Ha! Each hen walked off her nest followed by around 12 sweet little fluffy ducklings. Apparently math is not my strong suit, I ended up with over 90 ducks by the end of the summer. :eek:
The mamas are great, and sneaky. :D We now practice egg removal birth control.
Oh no! I haven’t checked it today as I’ve been busy, but I’m hoping the other hen doesn’t lay rn. I can handle an additional cluster for just the eggs. Looking forward to some youngins runnin around!

Update on the nest as of yesterday:
Duck is up to 20 eggs and still not sitting although it looks like she has made efforts to start covering eggs! Hoping she’s ready anytime now

We're still waiting to see what the 2 girls are doing. At the beginning of March we got 12 eggs. But nothing since. Their good girls though they laid in one of the chickens nest box. My Drakes funny. When I collect the chicken eggs he comes in and watches. I always sing a thank you for the eggs song and he looking and bobbing his head. :lol::lol: just call me crazy.

Back
Top Bottom