First time orderer from Murray McMurray!

ccarver80

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Squaw gap ND
Ordered 15 + 1 free rare over a month ago from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They are based out of Iowa and I live on the Montana/North Dakota boarder.

I got an email yesterday said they shipped and checked the tracking code this morning and they got to and left billing MT at 2:09am this morning and heading to my local post office. (Im very impressed with there shipping speed)

I guess my question is how dose the local post office handle them? im figuriing I will be getting a call tommorow to pick them up... just makes me nervouse to have them sitting with random boxes at the P.O.

Also, yes VERY fast shipping, but still 3 days in a small box getting bounced around and scared! no food?? no water??? or how dose USPS handle live animals when shipping??? i though my chicks were going to die when i bought a few from the local TSC and had to drive 20 miles home! i had the seat warmer on the small box and pushing the speed limit best as i could *saftly of course ;)

Im i WAY to parraonid ???!

Also should i open the box at the post office to confirm survival??? what do i do if a few are DOA?

I ordered from Murray McMurray this not realising they shipped on friday, with USPS closed on sunday. I ended up loosing 5 of the 15 chicks.

Oh no! You are feeling like all of us mail order chickmamas!

I ordered my six from My Pet Chicken back in January, waited all this time for the hatch date and just got them last week.

I tracked them like you're doing, and saw they just took one day to reach a post office three hours drive from my town. I tried calling that PO to ask if I could come pick them up instead of waiting for them to be delivered to my local PO. But no one answered the phone. All day, and no one answered the phone.

So I had no choice but to wait the 24 hours more for them to come the rest of the way the next day. I was beside myself with anxiety, picturing them freezing in some warehouse.

But the reality is the USPS takes great care, if the policy is followed by conscientious employees, with live animals. They are kept inside a building when there's an extended layover, and taken first off the delivery truck into the post office for processing before all the other mail.

On top of that, the chicks are packaged in the sturdiest boxes you can imagine. Crush proof and usually a heat warmer packet is slipped under the nesting material for three days worth of heat.

So your babies will be fine. But don't wait for them to call you. Call and find out when the first delivery truck is scheduled to arrive, and go down to your PO and wait for it. They will take your chicks off the truck and right into the post office to scan the box, then bring it right back out and give it to you.

If your chicks don't arrive until Monday, they will still likely be fine. If by some unfortunate chance one or two don't make it, when you get them home, call the hatchery and inform them. They won't be able to send you new chicks probably, but they will give you credit for the lost ones. Usually this is effect for the first 48 hours after you receive the chicks. I happened to lose one after I had it a couple days, and MPC gave me credit for it.

Last edited:
I ordered from Murray McMurray this not realising they shipped on friday, with USPS closed on sunday. I ended up loosing 5 of the 15 chicks.

Yea! I think that's kinda stupid!!! Arnt almost all post offices closed on sundays?! If it left billings today at 2am.... they are proably sitting there right now! It's only a 4 hour drive!

Ordered 15 + 1 free rare over a month ago from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They are based out of Iowa and I live on the Montana/North Dakota boarder.

I got an email yesterday said they shipped and checked the tracking code this morning and they got to and left billing MT at 2:09am this morning and heading to my local post office. (Im very impressed with there shipping speed)

I guess my question is how dose the local post office handle them? im figuriing I will be getting a call tommorow to pick them up... just makes me nervouse to have them sitting with random boxes at the P.O.

Also, yes VERY fast shipping, but still 3 days in a small box getting bounced around and scared! no food?? no water??? or how dose USPS handle live animals when shipping??? i though my chicks were going to die when i bought a few from the local TSC and had to drive 20 miles home! i had the seat warmer on the small box and pushing the speed limit best as i could *saftly of course ;)

Im i WAY to parraonid ???!

Also should i open the box at the post office to confirm survival??? what do i do if a few are DOA?

Call your local PO ahead of time(they will call me when they get there as well), mine lets me show up even when they're closed to public if my birds show up...They'll have them at the back door for me!...Make a friend if you're going to be doing this more than a couple of times...But even if not, just call ahead, I hope they're as accommodating as we've found ours to be...

Last edited:
Call your local PO, mine lets me show up even when they're closed to public if my birds show up...They'll have them at the back door for me!...Make a friend if you're going to be doing this more than a couple of times...But even if not, just call ahead, I hope they're as accommodating as we've found ours to be...

Looked up there # and it's just the 1800 number .... I've posted on 6 local buy/seLL groups on Facebook looking for someone.

I looked at the tracking again it says 2.09am arrived at billings....no departure time but under the arrived in billings the description says in route to destination

What's your take did it leave billings?

Looked up there # and it's just the 1800 number .... I've posted on 6 local buy/seLL groups on Facebook looking for someone.

I looked at the tracking again it says 2.09am arrived at billings....no departure time but under the arrived in billings the description says in route to destination

What's your take did it leave billings?

What is destination?

Bet they are on their last leg of travel. You should get them tomorrow I bet. It's hard waiting on them.

I just got my email an hour ago saying that my order has shipped. Trouble is, they shipped on Friday and I picked them up yesterday. They would have sat at the Omaha post office until tomorrow before shipping to my local post office. I think I got lucky that the USPS worker who got them in up there called and gave me the option to come and get them, which I did.

41 chicks ordered, plus one exotic and two packing peanuts all arrived home alive and are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom