First time Orpington owner here...

Honestly have no idea
Okay, so the first picture of the cockerel and pullet are Blue English Orpingtons. (Greedy Guts in the back is a Mauve which means she carries and expresses both the Blue and Chocolate genes). The second photo of the hen is a Lavender (otherwise known as Self Blue which I detest as it causes confusion for people).

These colors are usually easy to tell apart as Lavender is usually a soft, even, pearly-grey color. Each feather is the same color as the next and are uniform throughout. (Poor quality Lavender birds may also exhibit frayed and raggedy feathers. This is a result of the "shredder gene" that often appears in Lavender birds and makes them look like "they've been used to scrub a dirty patio". - Overo Mare

Blue can be much more variable as you can have light, medium, or dark blue. In general, Blue is not even and breeders strive to get scalloped, or laced feathers on their Blue birds.

So in the first picture, where the birds are sitting on some tractor equipment, the cockerel is a Blue English Orpington, as are the two Blue pullets. The two Buff Orpingtons came from a hatchery.

Okay, so the first picture of the cockerel and pullet are Blue English Orpingtons. (Greedy Guts in the back is a Mauve which means she carries and expresses both the Blue and Chocolate genes). The second photo of the hen is a Lavender (otherwise known as Self Blue which I detest as it causes confusion for people).

These colors are usually easy to tell apart as Lavender is usually a soft, even, pearly-grey color. Each feather is the same color as the next and are uniform throughout. (Poor quality Lavender birds may also exhibit frayed and raggedy feathers. This is a result of the "shredder gene" that often appears in Lavender birds and makes them look like "they've been used to scrub a dirty patio". - Overo Mare

Blue can be much more variable as you can have light, medium, or dark blue. In general, Blue is not even and breeders strive to get scalloped, or laced feathers on their Blue birds.

So in the first picture, where the birds are sitting on some tractor equipment, the cockerel is a Blue English Orpington, as are the two Blue pullets. The two Buff Orpingtons came from a hatchery.
Genetics are a funky thing.

Genetics are a funky thing.
1636735412595.png

😂

God you’re funny. No so the Orpington that you weren’t sure about was sold to me as a lavender Orpington but I will try and get a better picture. I’m also not sure about that one to be fair as there is only a few discoloured or darker feathers.

I will let y’all know as soon as eggs are forthcoming (or not as it were)

I apologise in advance for yet another Cockrell or Pullet Post. I have hatched four Orpingtons that I bought from a reputable breeder. They are lovely and fluffy and everything I've wanted in an orpington although they are less affectionate than I thought...oh well.
I'm currently unsure as to what the hell they are?! I don't know if I have pullets or cockerel? When I did my research on them I read its difficult to spot and these are! I think I either have three cockerels and a pullet or three pullets and a cockerel. They are all roughly the same size (one of the chocolate ones are SLIGHTLY smaller than the other three) and only the legs on one of them (buff) are thicker than the other three but I don't know if that's anything to go by at this age (15 weeks). I have attached pictures...I would like to know HOW to identify them so if you could please mention your method I'd appreciate it.
2nd pic looks to be male

Back
Top Bottom