First time Orpington owner here...

@Overo Mare
Thanks for the invite!

To me it looks like 3 pullets and may e 1 cockerel. You're 2 chocolates and lavender look female to me, but your buff does look like it might be a cockerel. This one does have big Dino legs and a fairly decent comb. At 15 weeks, he should be about to start crowing.
20211020_173115.jpg
20211020_173040.jpg
20211020_172927.jpg

These guys were hatched around July 5th. The lavender started to get his crow on last week. It's pathetic.
How can you tell the difference between English and American orps?
American orps are much more streamlined and lighter. English orps look like they swallowed a bowling ball. Literally. A lot fluffier and larger.

@Portugal Muscovy Novice

Those English orps look good. I think your buff might be a male. The legs are a little longer & thicker. The wattles are larger with more color. I zoomed in as much as I could & I may see the start of pointy golden saddle feathers - usually start to develop around this age. Inspect that area closely for the start of some narrow, pointy feathers. You may have to part the back feathers a little to see them. If present, then you know he's a male. The crowing may start at any age - I've had several wait until 5-7 months old before I would hear their voice. My laced orps mature very slowly and can take 10-12 months before they can successfully fertilize eggs. My lavender orp cockerels are busy by 6-8 months.

InkedtempImageaiodfR_LI.jpg

My cockerel is a little older so you can clearly see his saddle feathers.
IMG_8910 (2).JPG

Orps can be VERY affectionate. I have one (Dandy) that comes when called, and likes to be around people. I have had 3 orps (so far) and have loved each one of them. Not all like to be held and cuddled, but all are sweet and loving. Clover, (as seen in my profile pic) would hop on my shoulder when scared. She did not like to be held and cuddled for long periods of time usually, and wouldn't let anyone but me catch and hold her. My sweet girl was gentle and lovely up until the end! Miss you my little songbird! Rest in peace!

I apologise in advance for yet another Cockrell or Pullet Post. I have hatched four Orpingtons that I bought from a reputable breeder. They are lovely and fluffy and everything I've wanted in an orpington although they are less affectionate than I thought...oh well.
I'm currently unsure as to what the hell they are?! I don't know if I have pullets or cockerel? When I did my research on them I read its difficult to spot and these are! I think I either have three cockerels and a pullet or three pullets and a cockerel. They are all roughly the same size (one of the chocolate ones are SLIGHTLY smaller than the other three) and only the legs on one of them (buff) are thicker than the other three but I don't know if that's anything to go by at this age (15 weeks). I have attached pictures...I would like to know HOW to identify them so if you could please mention your method I'd appreciate it.
First off, those are nice proper fat English Orpingtons. So congratulations on not getting any of that American hatchery filth. lol ;)
I agree, those all look like pullets. At 15 weeks cockerels would have much larger combs at wattles, and male chickens have pointy saddle feathers which you would be able to see by that age as well. Here's a nice article with pictures on this topic: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sexing-pullets-and-cockerels.72769/
This may apply to fast-maturing birds but is not at all an accurate way of sexing quality English Orpingtons. They mature much later than other breeds. And males from certain bloodlines may not express any male behavior like crowing until they hit nine months.
Those are NICE Orps! Very nice quality. @ColtHandorf come look and give your opinion!

I do believe the buff is a cockerel.
Miranda Priestly.gif

I've been summoned? ;)

I also agree. The two Chocolates are definitely pullets and so is the Splash(?). It's hard to tell in the photo because it's zoomed and the lighting is weird but I don't think she's Lavender.
You're welcome! I can see why. Gorgeous birds!

These are quality English Orps. Not hatchery American Orps. They should mature MUCH slower. Hence why those wattles and comb on that buff tell me cockerel. Let me tag a couple other English Orp folks. I believe Colt is busy at work currently.

@Faraday40
@homeschoolin momma

Y'all's opinions?
busy-rage.gif

Sorry for not being here sooner.
How can you tell the difference between English and American orps? I haven't developed an eye for identifying breeds or genders yet even after having chickens for almost 8 years lol.
I'd like future birds to be from breeders though. I know there can be a big difference based on lineage
Without anyone helping...do you see a difference in the birds below? If you do, what are they? And what would you hazard a guess they are?
1636729591528.png

At 15 weeks, he should be about to start crowing.
Must be nice! My Suede didn't crow until he was over 9 months.

First off, those are nice proper fat English Orpingtons. So congratulations on not getting any of that American hatchery filth. lol ;)

This may apply to fast-maturing birds but is not at all an accurate way of sexing quality English Orpingtons. They mature much later than other breeds. And males from certain bloodlines may not express any male behavior like crowing until they hit nine months.

View attachment 2896116
I've been summoned? ;)

I also agree. The two Chocolates are definitely pullets and so is the Splash(?). It's hard to tell in the photo because it's zoomed and the lighting is weird but I don't think she's Lavender.

View attachment 2896117
Sorry for not being here sooner.

Without anyone helping...do you see a difference in the birds below? If you do, what are they? And what would you hazard a guess they are?
View attachment 2896120

Must be nice! My Suede didn't crow until he was over 9 months.
The 3 lavender are rounder and larger overall while the buffs are smaller and thinner

Back
Top Bottom