First time out in run

rexwabbits

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 15, 2014
Lyndon, Kansas
What is the best way to get your chickens to go out in the run on their own. Yesterday was the first time they were out in the run but we had to chase them out and pick some up and put them out the door, when we had to get them back in the coop we had to chase them near the ramp and pick them up to put them in the coop. We have been told bribing them with treat or using a sheet works well. What else has been done to get your birds to go out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Patience. Just open the pop door and give them access. When they are ready they will go out. That may be a few minutes, it may be a few days. But eventually they will go out.

How important is it to cover the run, we have Silver Laced Wyandottes. We have read where the run should be covered with plastic but i have seen some that aren't covered. What is your opinion?

My run is open on top, because its so large, covering it would be a major expense and pain in the behind!
I have lost one chicken to a hawk and had to chase another hawk out of my run. Aerial predators are probably the biggest reason folks cover their runs. Some people do it because they show and the sun burns feathers and changes their color. You don't have to do it, but you can if you'd like to :)

Back
Top Bottom