First Time Outside (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JayDe, May 23, 2010.

1. JayDe

JayDe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    We finally let our little babies out of the brooder this weekend in two groups. They are two weeks old. We brought out the EE/Orpington mixes:

[​IMG]

They settled down and flew all over the place after an initial shock of the wide world!

Then we brought out the Orpington Chicks:

[​IMG]

They were more reserved the whole time, sticking near the box I carried them out in and not making as much noise/flying around. I guess that's a breed difference, although my Orpington roo was NOT calm as a baby, he was a hellion! He's the daddy of all the babies, but the moms are an Orpington and two Easter Eggers. They came by and checked them out and I shoo'd them away after my Orpington pullet pecked her baby on the head..They were incubated, so she doesn't know them from Sam.

Raising them from eggs is so rewarding. I have to start the horrible process of choosing which to keep. We are only keeping 1-2 boys and 3 girls. Although my husband did mention maybe having to build another coop if we get too attached..LOL!

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
  3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Make a recording and play it softly in HIS sleeping ear..."...you love our baby chicks, you are a fantastic chick Papa, we will build a coop together..." [​IMG] It just may work!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by