First time owning chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Faithofamom, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Faithofamom

Faithofamom New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    Hello, this is my first time owning my own chickens. I have lived on farms with lots of chickens, thankfully they were not my obligation, but I did help whenever I could. But that is the extent of my chicken owning knowledge. I have done extensive research on the codes for owning chickens, what to look for in a good egg laying hen, what type of hens are there and do I want to get some that can be eaten as well? It all sounds great until our coop misunderstanding.We are getting 4 chickens. I researched how much space we need to give them in their coop...long story short, I misunderstood the information I found and we made our coop 5' x 10'. But we did make it a little small because I will be letting them free range in my vegetable garden. Our humble family of four chickens will be living in the Taj Mahal.

I will be picking my Ameraucanas up this week and need to get the supplies before i get them. I am going to put together a list, but to not look like a new mom leaving the house for the first time with her baby, is there a basic list I should stick to (besides feeder and feed)?

I am looking forward to the assistance from the forums and site itself. Thank you

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you onboard with us [​IMG]

Make sure they get clean water daily and the feed is of good quality and remember your table scrape are good for them also [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The Learning center above is the best place to start and will answer questions you didn't even know you had. Well to the flock

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! X2 on the Learning Center Good luck with your new venture!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a great start, bigger is always better for the birds.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Good luck with your chickens!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Good luck with your future flock! It sounds like they are going to have plenty of space.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Definitely do some reading in the learning center here on BYC. Lots of good reads on how to care for your new babies.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

9. chick rookie

chick rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    [​IMG] and dont forget TREATS.. they love treats, like meal worms, warm oatmeal in the winter, and lots of other goodies. My girls love spaghetti, veggies and all the table scraps I can come up with. Bigger is better cause in the winter I have lockdown days due to the weather, thats when they need the extra room.
    My chicken math ran a muck and now I need more room... lol add on plans made for this spring.
    Good luck and enjoy your babies [​IMG]

10. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Glad you joined up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by