First time owning chickens

Faithofamom

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Hello, this is my first time owning my own chickens. I have lived on farms with lots of chickens, thankfully they were not my obligation, but I did help whenever I could. But that is the extent of my chicken owning knowledge. I have done extensive research on the codes for owning chickens, what to look for in a good egg laying hen, what type of hens are there and do I want to get some that can be eaten as well? It all sounds great until our coop misunderstanding.We are getting 4 chickens. I researched how much space we need to give them in their coop...long story short, I misunderstood the information I found and we made our coop 5' x 10'. But we did make it a little small because I will be letting them free range in my vegetable garden. Our humble family of four chickens will be living in the Taj Mahal.

I will be picking my Ameraucanas up this week and need to get the supplies before i get them. I am going to put together a list, but to not look like a new mom leaving the house for the first time with her baby, is there a basic list I should stick to (besides feeder and feed)?

I am looking forward to the assistance from the forums and site itself. Thank you

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you onboard with us
frow.gif

Make sure they get clean water daily and the feed is of good quality and remember your table scrape are good for them also
smile.png

The Learning center above is the best place to start and will answer questions you didn't even know you had. Well to the flock

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. Good luck with your future flock! It sounds like they are going to have plenty of space.

images

Definitely do some reading in the learning center here on BYC. Lots of good reads on how to care for your new babies.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
and dont forget TREATS.. they love treats, like meal worms, warm oatmeal in the winter, and lots of other goodies. My girls love spaghetti, veggies and all the table scraps I can come up with. Bigger is better cause in the winter I have lockdown days due to the weather, thats when they need the extra room.
My chicken math ran a muck and now I need more room... lol add on plans made for this spring.
Good luck and enjoy your babies
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom