First time processing

-Chanticleer-

Crowing
May 18, 2023
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Processed my first quail today.This was my first time completely processing a bird start to finish myself. It was a little hard psyching myself up to cull, but after the head and feet were gone the process mentally was way easier. I only processed one because it was an extra male who was a bully. But this has made me feel a tad better about raising meat birds next year. Behold my first bird.
IMG_2368.jpeg

Also two questions, if you made it this far.
1.What’s your favorite way to cook quail?
2. How long should I refrigerate before cooking?

Processed my first quail today.This was my first time completely processing a bird start to finish myself. It was a little hard psyching myself up to cull, but after the head and feet were gone the process mentally was way easier. I only processed one because it was an extra male who was a bully. But this has made me feel a tad better about raising meat birds next year. Behold my first bird.
View attachment 3670909

Also two questions, if you made it this far.
1.What’s your favorite way to cook quail?
2. How long should I refrigerate before cooking?
Good job! Looks perfect.

I usually throw some seasonings on and air fry them for around 15 minutes.

I let mine sit in the fridge for around 24hrs or untill you can move and position the joints easily.

Good job! Looks perfect.

I usually throw some seasonings on and air fry them for around 15 minutes.

I let mine sit in the fridge for around 24hrs or untill you can move and position the joints easily.
Thank you I googled it but couldn’t fine and definitive answer. I don’t have an air fryer but that does sound pretty easy.

Good job! Better than the first one I did. I psyched myself up for two months before I processed my first one. I'd never slaughtered anything in my life before my first quail.

I would let it rest for 12-24 hours. Quail go through rigor pretty quickly, so that's all you need.

My favourite recipe is dakgangjeong, but it's a little work intensive. Here are some other ideas.

Thank you! I semi processed a chicken and I had help. The quail was my first start to finish by myself. I was surprised how many feathers there were for such a small bird.

The dakgangjeong looks really good I think I’ll try that and add some chicken with it. I’ll follow up with how it turns out 👍

Thank you! I semi processed a chicken and I had help. The quail was my first start to finish by myself. I was surprised how many feathers there were for such a small bird.

The dakgangjeong looks really good I think I’ll try that and add some chicken with it. I’ll follow up with how it turns out 👍
Yes you did very good my first quail I processed looked nothing like that 🤣 they were no where near as presentable as that 🤣

If you do the dakgangjeong, cut the quail into quarters. I've found that any recipe that calls for chicken wings or thighs works really well with quail quarters.

I ended up just frying it. It was pretty good. My first time eating quail. I forgot two important ingredients for the other recipe but I’m still going to try it with chicken. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_2419.jpeg
    IMG_2419.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom