First Time Raising a Roo-How Many Chances Does He Get?

MesMama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Iowa
Back story-I have a head rooster who has 7 hens, this spring I added some chicks, 2 are roos. The littles are almost 5 months old and the rooster hormones have fully kicked in, especially for one. He's full on crowing and doing the circle thing around the pullets and he has tried fertilizing them, but they want NOTHING to do with him at this point. But this past week one of my adult hens is acting like she wants to go broody and he walked by her one day and grabbed her neck feathers and she squatted for him, he got on her back and did his biz, BUT my top hen ran over and began pecking at her pretty hard, she was screaming ugh.
idunno.gif
So, this brings me to today. We were in the run letting the chickens out, my daughter (11 years old and is taller than me, knows how to act in the chicken pen) reached down and picked up that hen I mentioned above because my head rooster was pawing at her back (weird, never seen him do that) and she was doing her "broody cluck" like she's been doing, but loud like she was in distress. So my daughter calmly picked her up after my rooster walked away to check her and see if she was bleeding etc, she wasn't so she put her down, the young rooster I mentioned above was standing to my daughter's side and as she turned to walk away he jumped at the back of her leg
hmm.png
Scratched her pretty good. So I'm needing some feedback on this, does he need culled? Do I give him another chance? I don't want to cull him for doing what he's supposed to do, ie: protecting the hens, which I think he was trying to do, maybe thought my daughter was going to hurt the hen? But he jumped on her AFTER she put the hen down and went to walk away. I just need some advice from more seasoned chicken owners because my head roo has NEVER done anything like that, ever.

Thank you for any advice
smile.png

So I shouldn't try and train/discipline him like some threads talk about? Thinking my daughter needs to establish herself as dominant leader in his eyes?

He'll be getting his spurs in pretty soon, do you really want to risk that kind of puncture injury to your kid? The type that attack from behind are the worst. You won't ever be able to trust him. And he's not going to get much bigger. He needs a date with the crock pot. If you're worried about not getting enough meat off him, cook till the meat falls off the bone, and then use that meat for something like chicken tacos or bar-b-que sandwiches.

He'll be getting his spurs in pretty soon, do you really want to risk that kind of puncture injury to your kid? The type that attack from behind are the worst. You won't ever be able to trust him. And he's not going to get much bigger. He needs a date with the crock pot. If you're worried about not getting enough meat off him, cook till the meat falls off the bone, and then use that meat for something like chicken tacos or bar-b-que sandwiches.
No I definitely do not want that :/ So that's why I'm asking if he needs disciplined and might be okay, but it sounds like he won't?

Back
Top Bottom