First time raising chickens!

rws09d

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Tallahassee, Florida
Hey Everyone,
Im new to chickening and my name is Rod, from Florida.

I got the idea from a friend of mine that chickens for pets would be a good idea. I was always around them as a child and thought it could be a lot of fun, so i checked zoning and went for it! My first was a silver spangled something or other mut (Edna) from my friend's backyard breeder source. My second (Tunk) that i got the same day was from the local hardware store and im not quite sure what that one was either. I raised the two up for about two weeks and after evaluating my yard, i decided i needed another. After doing some light reading i settled on a Welsummer. I got her(Ununda) and the three got along famously! Not even three days later i had my first chicken related problem...I had a robbery. Not sure what stole Tunk but it left no trace except a hole in my screened in porch, a slightly crushed side of a brooding box and two frightened chicks. I moved my remaining two straight to the garage and spent the morning looking for any sign of my missing chick, nothing. After telling my very sympathetic girlfriend about the situation she decided i needed a new one to fill the chicken shaped void, about two weeks later she got me a Rhode Island Red named Crushinator to go with my theme of the space women from futurama. With the age difference so great and Edna picking on Crushinator i decided to keep them separate which is easy because Edna and Ununda are well feathered so they went outside to their coop. I know chickens dont do too well alone so i arrange frequent play dates with the three and im always handling Crushinator who is quickly becoming my favorite and a bit of a lap chicken. Eventually, i will have the three of them in the coop together but for now while crushinator is still to young and lacking feathers, she will stay indoors with me.

Wow so sorry to hear you had such a issue in the early stages! Hope things stay getting better!

Last edited:
frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry to hear about Tunk.

Hello and welcome to BYC! Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hello and :welcome

Sorry to hear things have been a bit rough so far! But it sounds like you've got a plan, so best of luck with that.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom