First time shipped eggs- candling

agto

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
It's day 14. These eggs look not what I'm used to. Two different eggs. One has a black blob and no discernable veining. And the other isn't moving any more but has great veining.

The black blob sounds like the embryo has died. The veins do disappear pretty quickly. The other one may be getting too crammed up to give a wiggle maybe? Candle in a couple of days and you'll be able to check whether the veining is still there. :fl

Thank you JaeG! So if I see veins it's alive.... Or at least more potentially alive.
If an egg dies it'll get a ring even after day 7?

Thank you JaeG! So if I see veins it's alive.... Or at least more potentially alive.
If an egg dies it'll get a ring even after day 7?

I've found the ring does break up and disappear quite quickly so unless you candle at just the right time you can miss it. I generally deal with quail eggs but I candle a lot and I've got quite good at telling what's looking good and what isn't. I had one this morning (they must be about a week along) that did have a bit of a blood ring and I could see that the veins were thinning. I've found the dead embryos do look really black like you've described. Hopefully your other baby will stay with you and hatch successfully. :fl

What kind of eggs are they?

Golden laced Cochin bantams. $20 for six eggs shipped from Florida to Minnesota. Not a bag price at all, I've just never spent over $5 for a chick.

Back
Top Bottom