First Time Showing - How short should my silkie's nails be?

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
Okay, I've NEVER been good at trimming nails because of my fear of trimming too much and causing the animal to bleed. But, my dd is showing for the first time next weekend and I'm not sure how short the nails should be. Can someone explain to me or post a pic if you have one?? Thanks for your help! We need it! Haha.

ETA: I thought I'd post a couple pics, please feel free to give opinions/advice on these birds. Like I said, this is our first time ever showing. My dd is actually entering the birds but I think I'm much more nervous than she is. Haha.

Splash Pullet:
63636_priscilla1.jpg

63636_priscilla10.jpg

Blue Cockeral:
63636_elvis3.jpg

63636_elvis1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't cut them until they bleed. I clip a bit above the quick and then use a nail file to reshape them to a normal toenail shape (not squared off). If you clip them too short, you can't do them without filing into the quick. The objective is not really getting them as short as possible, but to get them groomed and shaped nicely. Be sure and do this before you bathe in case you do draw blood and keep your blood stop handy.

Quote:
Ok, so that would mean i keep cutting until they bleed???

with out bleeding how dose that in any way say cut till they bleed

Thanks everyone. I hope I can see the quick. I'm going to help my dd bathe them next Friday since I work during the week and the show is Sunday. I trimmed them a little a couple months ago when I first got them, but they've been on shavings, so their nails don't wear down like I'm used to with my silkies outside (obviously). Once again, I appreciate the advice!!
smile.png

Chickendales, no your post didn't say that but because I didn't know WHEN to stop...I wouldn't have known they were short enough before I saw blood. So, what I meant by that is that would be the only way I would know they were short enough if my goal was to try to get them as short as I could before they bleed.
idunno.gif
Like I said, I'm hoping I can see the quick well and I will follow the advice on filing and making them shaped nicely. Thank you for your response! I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom