First Time With A Broody Duck, The Eggs Are Due To Hatch Soon and I Have Some Questions

GarnerZoo

Chirping
May 22, 2015
My Welsh Harlequin is sitting on 15 eggs and they're due sometime between Sunday and Tuesday. I have a few questions as this will be my first time with ducklings (We bought the female and our male when they were already older). The male is also a Welsh Harlequin and they are both just over a year old.

My Questions are:

1.) Does she sit on the eggs as they hatch? Or will she get up until they are done? (I know this seems really weird to ask but I honestly don't know)

2.) Will our chickens try to hurt them? (There's one that is mean to our adult male, she thinks she's a rooster so I think that might be why shes mean to him)

3.) When they finally hatch how do I go about them and swimming. I've read that ones hatched out of an incubator need to be towel dried, but they'll have a mom so do I just let her take care of that?
Also, will I still need to supervise swimming to make sure they don't drown on accident. (Should I lower the amount of water in the duck pool so it's safe for ducklings?)

5.) We will be selling the ducklings, what age should I sell them at? I don't want to sell them too early, and what price do you sell ducklings at usually?

Any other advice for raising them with her would be much appreciated. Also sorry if someone else has asked these questions, I couldn't find any of the answers to these where they have a mom.

Last edited:
Edited the questions to be more specific
big_smile.png

They sell easiest when they are still small and cute. I get $5 each for mine will sell no less than 4, otherwise it's not worth the effort, lol.

-Kathy

Thank you! I've been using this site since we got the ducks and chickens. Finally decided to make an account because I couldn't find these answers anywhere else.
tongue.png

If you duck is going to raise them they can go swimming with her because they'll be waterproof from her feathers from sleeping under her. As for the pool, they need to be able to get out of it, which often they can't do with anything man made.

-Kathy

Thanks for taking the time to answer some of my questions. I thought so on the swimming thing but I wanted a more professional opinion on it than just assuming.

With the pool the water should be as high as possible the lower it is the harder it is for them to get out! The mom will stay on the best until all have hatched usually but you should still candle the leftover eggs just to be sure. Good luck
1f600.png

Thanks for the information/advice. I will leave the water at the normal level then, and thanks for answering my first question too.

My Welsh Harlequin is sitting on 15 eggs and they're due sometime between Sunday and Tuesday. I have a few questions as this will be my first time with ducklings (We bought the female and our male when they were already older). The male is also a Welsh Harlequin and they are both just over a year old.

My Questions are:

1.) Does she sit on the eggs as they hatch? Or will she get up until they are done? (I know this seems really weird to ask but I honestly don't know)

2.) Will our chickens try to hurt them? (There's one that is mean to our adult male, she thinks she's a rooster so I think that might be why shes mean to him)

3.) When they finally hatch how do I go about them and swimming. I've read that ones hatched out of an incubator need to be towel dried, but they'll have a mom so do I just let her take care of that?
Also, will I still need to supervise swimming to make sure they don't drown on accident. (Should I lower the amount of water in the duck pool so it's safe for ducklings?)

5.) We will be selling the ducklings, what age should I sell them at? I don't want to sell them too early, and what price do you sell ducklings at usually?

Any other advice for raising them with her would be much appreciated. Also sorry if someone else has asked these questions, I couldn't find any of the answers to these where they have a mom.
Saw your other post in getting 9 hatchlings, congratulations! Did you get answers to all of your questions? Just curious. Mine have all gone broody and the lack of duck sounds in the backyard for so long is becoming creepy in it's absence. Who knew I could get addicted to quacking :)

Back
Top Bottom