First time with a broody hen, question on day 20....

Movement is always a good sign. A couple of days before hatching the air cell will start to dip down dramatically on one side. This is when he ou can usually see the egg start to rock back and forth as the chick positions itself for hatching. The chick usually has about 24-48 hours left to hatch once you see it enter the air cell (internally pip). You can see this by candling and you will notice a little beak poking up and down, usually at the lowest point of the air cell. This is generally where they will externally pip. Once they internally pip, they will take a long break. During this break they will practice they're breathing and absorb the yolks. This break can take up to 24 hours. During this time you may hear them chirping. After this break, they will externally pip. You may see the chick's beak making a chewing motion. This means that they are still absorbing the yolk. They will again take a long break. After this break they will start zipping, or finish breaking through their shell. This is the fastest phase. I've had chicks hatch just 10 minutes after starting to zip. But under any circumstances DO NOT assist the chick in hatching unless you feel as though something has gone wrong. And even then, do not assist them until you come back and ask for the correct way to assist. Some chicks just take longer to hatch, but some do have problems.
You may or may not already know all of this, but I figured I'd just throw it out there just in case. And I wouldn't disturb mama or the egg for the next couple of days.
I can't thank you enough for all of this information! You have painted a picture for me that I needed to see, ha ha...Since this is our first time hatching, it's daunting! But, I sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to so intricately describe the process we are facing! I will update as soon as we have a chick! Again, many thanks!!!!

I can't thank you enough for all of this information! You have painted a picture for me that I needed to see, ha ha...Since this is our first time hatching, it's daunting! But, I sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to so intricately describe the process we are facing! I will update as soon as we have a chick! Again, many thanks!!!!

Hopefully they hatch! :D

You're so welcome! The main rule of thumb us you monitor but don't disturb the egg too much at this stage. I made that mistake with my first time hatching and had a very low hatch rate. I even went as far to panic and tried assisting prematurely and lost this chick due to being too naive about the situation at hand. But I guess most knowledge comes from experience. This year I'm at a 100% hatch rate so far. I'm worried for my last little duckling I have left though. The temps have dropped dramatically and he seems to be taking longer to pip externally than expected. Fingers crossed for positive outcomes for both of us. If you have anymore questions just ask :)

You're so welcome! The main rule of thumb us you monitor but don't disturb the egg too much at this stage. I made that mistake with my first time hatching and had a very low hatch rate. I even went as far to panic and tried assisting prematurely and lost this chick due to being too naive about the situation at hand. But I guess most knowledge comes from experience. This year I'm at a 100% hatch rate so far. I'm worried for my last little duckling I have left though. The temps have dropped dramatically and he seems to be taking longer to pip externally than expected. Fingers crossed for positive outcomes for both of us. If you have anymore questions just ask :)
Just went out to check on them and I heard chirping! This is terribly exciting!

Just went out to check on them and I heard chirping! This is terribly exciting!
I have a little duckling chirping also as we speak :ya Just waiting on an external pip, but tapping its heart out. I could do this a million times and it's always nerve wrecking each and every time

I'm happy to report we have a sweet baby chick that was born this morning! One more to go!!! Mama is doing great and is very protective....We are in LOVE!

My little duck egg has finally pipped after more than 36 hours after internal pip. I'm so glad I didn't have to go in after it
Yay! Our baby was born this morning! The little one is doing great and mama is super protective! We have one more egg to hatch that was a day or two behind the first one....Anxiously awaiting another one!

Yay! Our baby was born this morning! The little one is doing great and mama is super protective! We have one more egg to hatch that was a day or two behind the first one....Anxiously awaiting another one!
Our baby was born this morning as well!
20190403_081832.jpg
20190403_081843.jpg

Back
Top Bottom