Day 20 - HELP

Greeneyedgirll

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2024
This is my first time ever to hatch chicken eggs. I am on day 20 with 99.8’ and 71% humidity since lockdown. I haven’t had any chirps or pips yet…
Have I done something wrong? Please help

This is my first time ever to hatch chicken eggs. I am on day 20 with 99.8’ and 71% humidity since lockdown. I haven’t had any chirps or pips yet…
Eggs tend to hatch one a time frame from day 20-23 but sometimes as long as day 24-25. I'd suggest you candle them to see if there are any internal pips and to make sure there is still movement in the eggs. What type of incubator do you have? And what breeds of chickens? Some breeds can take a day or two longer than others.

Relax. Doing anything right now is more likely to cause a problem than help anything. Do not candle them now.

Eggs can hatch a couple of days early or late. Some reasons are heredity, humidity, how and how long they were stored before incubation started, and just basic differences in the eggs. A big cause can be incubation temperature. If the average incubation temperature is a bit high they can be early, low and they can be late. My eggs often hatch a couple of days early under broody hens, let alone in my incubator. I've calibrated the incubator and it is right. I think it is heredity with mine.

The best thing you can do is to leave them alone. See what happens. If you get to day 23 and nothing get back and we can chat.

Good luck!

Eggs tend to hatch one a time frame from day 20-23 but sometimes as long as day 24-25. I'd suggest you candle them to see if there are any internal pips and to make sure there is still movement in the eggs. What type of incubator do you have? And what breeds of chickens? Some breeds can take a day or two longer than others.
I am using a second hand Chikers incubator for my 6 eggs.. we are on day 21 now with no pips. I can still see the air pocket on the top of the egg. The breeds are as follows:

Attachments

• IMG_6649.jpeg
    IMG_6649.jpeg
    702.9 KB · Views: 17
Relax. Doing anything right now is more likely to cause a problem than help anything. Do not candle them now.

Eggs can hatch a couple of days early or late. Some reasons are heredity, humidity, how and how long they were stored before incubation started, and just basic differences in the eggs. A big cause can be incubation temperature. If the average incubation temperature is a bit high they can be early, low and they can be late. My eggs often hatch a couple of days early under broody hens, let alone in my incubator. I've calibrated the incubator and it is right. I think it is heredity with mine.

The best thing you can do is to leave them alone. See what happens. If you get to day 23 and nothing get back and we can chat.

Good luck!
Just feels like I have done something wrong and ruined the poor chicks chances of survival! I try to hear the chirps but nothing… I think the egg has slightly moved but maybe it’s my brain playing tricks. Even the air pocket on them are still intact… :(

Just feels like I have done something wrong and ruined the poor chicks chances of survival! I try to hear the chirps but nothing… I think the egg has slightly moved but maybe it’s my brain playing tricks. Even the air pocket on them are still intact… :(
don't beat yourself up about it! mistakes happen and if i were you i'd keep a close eye on them and wait until day 25!

dude, that's not the worst. at least there aren't any cats in your brooder! just give them a little more time, and remember to BE CAREFUL AROUND OTHER PETS! (yeah that last one is a reminder for me:( lost a hatchling last month because Thomas ate her.)

dude, that's not the worst. at least there aren't any cats in your brooder! just give them a little more time, and remember to BE CAREFUL AROUND OTHER PETS! (yeah that last one is a reminder for me:( lost a hatchling last month because Thomas ate her.)
I don’t have any other pets yet… just 2 rather naughty and hyper kids (6yrs & 3yrs) but they have been good so far!

Back
Top Bottom