1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time with baby chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Atomiccarebear, May 20, 2017.

1. Atomiccarebear

Atomiccarebear Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2017
    Murfreesboro, TN
    He guys!
    I'm a first timer with chickens. We just got our 2-day old chicks today! Super stoked! I've been trying to convince my husband since we bought our new house 2 years ago and he finally caved! I will be asking a lot of questions so bare with me. We have 4 Ameraucana's, 3 Brahma's and 1 Faverolles.
    We are currently looking for cheap ways to build a chicken coop. right now our plan is to use thick pallets and chain link fence but we are always looking for better options. I found a guy on craigslist that was giving away a play house that we could have built off of but come to find out it was way too big! We are also open to suggestions on organic chicken feed and food.

On to this new adventure!

Attached Files:

RiverStorm and Magepalm like this.
  2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Cute chick! The white one in the food bowl looks like its saying to the others "Iam warning you, if you come any nearer to MY food bowl, you'll regret it!" lol

Atomiccarebear and Magepalm like this.
  3. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    The bigger the better...Chickens are addictive. Also more room is best. Pallets work great I have my ducks in pallet coop now. Just make sure you have good ventilation. I used my daughters old captains bed to make chicken coop, but now I'm looking to expand. If you use a dog run for your chickens you may need strips/slats as coons can pull a chicken thru 1 in chicken wire. Check the predator proofing threads. Questions always welcome. And Good Luck on your new babies!

4. Magepalm

Magepalm Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2017
    Central Arkansas
    I would get the play house anyway, and you could use a piece of cardboard or something to divide it on the inside and make their area smaller and just remove it when they are bigger! Also, I'm in the same boat with my ducks, and I've been researching predator proofing their area pretty heavily and chain link fencing alone is not enough (bummer! Would have saved a load of money with my backyard already being fenced in!) You will want to line it, and at least 1 foot of the ground inward by it with some fencing called hardware cloth. Raccoons can tear up chicken wire and they can reach their arms into chain link and apparently they will grab the chickens and eat them through the fence like that! Also if there are hawks, falcons, and or eagles and vultures where you are you gotta do fencing or something over the top of their run too. if it's high enough that a raccoon wouldn't be able to reach the chickens from the top I would think feild fencing would suffice which is much cheaper than the hardware cloth. Also I noticed hardware cloth is a LOT cheaper to buy online than from my local tractor supply and home depot even after the shipping.

5. Magepalm

May 18, 2017
    Central Arkansas
    Oh and something I'm doing, I have an old crib at my house that was my oldest neices. I'm going to line it with chicken wire and do the same to the top of it and use it for a brooder - it even has wheels! Look around you and see what you have laying around, old cabinets and old furniture can be upcycled into just about anything!

6. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    Ive even been known to scour on garbage night for ppl throwing out beds n furniture to use. You can look on Pinterest, YouTube, BYC and Google for cheap coop ideas.

Magepalm and Atomiccarebear like this.
  7. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    x2

Magepalm likes this.
  8. Kates Chooks

Kates Chooks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    some of those baby chicks, in your picture, with the 'chipmunk' stripes, look like Speckled Sussex.

Magepalm likes this.
  9. Magepalm

May 18, 2017
    Central Arkansas
    Oh yeah! There's this youtuber, Beckys Homestead or something like that, she made nest boxes out of plastic totes! Of course you wouldn't really need those til later but it's something to keep in mind.
    Also, if you have a lot of clay in your area, you might want to look into some videos and reading material on building cob structures. All you need is that clay, sand and straw! It's a lot of work but a very cheap and if you can find sand even FREE way to build things

10. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    yeah search in pinterest! great ideas there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by