First time with baby rabbits all died though?!

raisingchaos

Hatching
Nov 30, 2015
My rabbit surprised us on black friday with 4 kits she kept all but 1 in the nest but we kept noticing she was always laying on that one and then leaving it in a non nesting area. He finally passed away last night unfortunately. However this morning her other healthier kits were spread around the cage and on top of bedding and had also passed away. What happened? Is this normal, could we prevent from happening again?

were you toutching her kits? or even breathing on them? if so she could have abanden them do to the smell of her kits dident smell like her so she thinks there not hers.... not all mothers will do this but most will...

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry for the loss of your kits. We used to raise Netherland Dwarfs and it was always sad when we lost some. :eek:( X2 on BEEDiAMOND88777; putting your smell in some way on the kits could have definitely caused the mother to abandon them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.
Awww, so sorry for your loss. :hugs

Was the nest in a nesting box or just one she made in the hay in her pen? Rabbits don't cuddle to keep their babies warm. They just cover them with fur and the babies keep each other warm. Without a box the babies can wiggle around and get out of the nest. Once the babies get out of the nest, the mothers don't know to put them back into it. So the babies die.

We touched the one that was always seperated but with a glove that we first pet and held her with then we scooped up the bedding around the kit trying to avoid any contact and that was the before she kept feeding him afterwards. yet we had to wait for our pet store to open to buy a nesting box which was the day we found them passed. So they were in the nest she made, so maybe they did wander they were into burrowing

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry for the loss of your kits. We used to raise Netherland Dwarfs and it was always sad when we lost some. :eek:( X2 on BEEDiAMOND88777; putting your smell in some way on the kits could have definitely caused the mother to abandon them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.    

They were Netherland dwarf and mini rex mix.

Back
Top Bottom