First time with Cornish X

I used trough feeders for mine, just to keep the feed out of the poop. 12 hours with feed, 12 without, and we free ranged. I moved the portable coop and they ranged out around it and I locked them in at night. But even doing that, it was an incredible amount of poop, and I'm told FR make less than CX!

I really want to avoid given them anything as far as supplements. Obviously if they were dropping dead 2 at a time I would change my tune but 2 in 51 is probably not a big deal. None dead this morning and all seem to be happy, eating and pooping and drinking. They are a curious bunch and quite a bit more lazy than the laying chicks I have dealt with in the past. Probably going to go with the troughs for feeding. Did you guys put anything in the middle to reduce them getting into or throwing it out?

Maybe hard to see. I can't believe I don't have a pic of it. But we halved a PVC pipe, tilted it a bit and screwed the ends to wood blocks. The chicks line up well, no one fell in or jumped in, too awkward with the tilt. But they dog pile each other.

At 1st we capped the ends of a 2 inch PVC and wall hooked it in the brooder. They grew way to fast and soon that was a snack feeder in the bottom pic so we used 4 inch, halved pvc and no end caps with blocks to make it portable like in the top pic.

Vitamin B's can be found naturally in foods we eat too should you run into anymore issues. And electrolytes can be as simple as honey water.

I'd recommend ACV with mother in their water as a natural health aid too.

49 still doing great is awesome.
Sounds like your doing just fine :)
I really want to avoid given them anything as far as supplements. Obviously if they were dropping dead 2 at a time I would change my tune but 2 in 51 is probably not a big deal. None dead this morning and all seem to be happy, eating and pooping and drinking. They are a curious bunch and quite a bit more lazy than the laying chicks I have dealt with in the past.  Probably going to go with the troughs for feeding. Did you guys put anything in the middle to reduce them getting into or throwing it out? 

I really want to avoid given them anything as far as supplements. Obviously if they were dropping dead 2 at a time I would change my tune but 2 in 51 is probably not a big deal. None dead this morning and all seem to be happy, eating and pooping and drinking. They are a curious bunch and quite a bit more lazy than the laying chicks I have dealt with in the past. Probably going to go with the troughs for feeding. Did you guys put anything in the middle to reduce them getting into or throwing it out?
Have you thought about FF? There is a fermenting feed for meat birds that has a ton of info on it

I really want to avoid given them anything as far as supplements. Obviously if they were dropping dead 2 at a time I would change my tune but 2 in 51 is probably not a big deal. None dead this morning and all seem to be happy, eating and pooping and drinking. They are a curious bunch and quite a bit more lazy than the laying chicks I have dealt with in the past.  Probably going to go with the troughs for feeding. Did you guys put anything in the middle to reduce them getting into or throwing it out? 
My trough feeders came with a bar across them to prevent them from jumping in it.

All this said, the next time I do meaties, I'm using a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it to let feed out. I got tired of hauling feed to them twice a day. At the end, the troughs were not big enough.

Back
Top Bottom