First time with Cornish X

Just keep in mind when you go to this thread that a lot of other world problems are solved on there because it is primarily occupied by hens.....
lol.png
....uhh, what I am trying to say is that we get off topic.....a lot!!
Lol...True

Just keep in mind when you go to this thread that a lot of other world problems are solved on there because it is primarily occupied by hens.....
lol.png
....uhh, what I am trying to say is that we get off topic.....a lot!!
Now that's funny. Thank you everyone for the replies. been a bit busy what with it being hunting season (starting to hate wild turkeys) and getting ready for the holidays. Current loss at the 1 week mark is 5 of the 51 birds. I went out this morning to let the ducks and the layers out and everything was fine. I come back to change the water and I guess I missed it but there was a small chick squashed at the feeder. I have lost 3 at the feeders and 2 under a lamp. They are all considerably smaller than the others but I must say it is a bit frustrating to have lost 10% at this point. I am not sure if this is really a nutrition issue as it really seems like a natural selection issue due to trampling. This is my first go around at this but I should lay a bit of back story here I guess. I am a graduate of UC Davis Nutrition Science Biochemistry and spent a great deal of time focusing on animal nutrition as well. Am am well versed in several different ration programs. That being said, real world experience is never like the book or the program and when it comes to chicken I am still finding my groove. I own a copy of Salatin's book and have read several others. My neighbor has had a great deal of experience with these birds and feels my loss is acceptable for a first run in the cold stretch of fall. I personally hate having unplanned losses as I constantly strive for perfection so this chick thing is starting to miff me a bit. Again thank you all for the information and please keep it coming. I love the PVC trough but what do you do when they are 3 weeks and no longer little guys? Bigger trough? More Troughs? I am looking at the Typical bucket feeds from TSC as I am growing concerned by the number of deaths at the trough and want to ensure they have adequate access even though I have two troughs which means I have 52 feeding holes for what is now 46 birds. Any thoughts?

Your loss is a little high, but not bad for a first timer and the fall. You may find that this is end of the losses.

Add more troughs. As they get bigger, you will need to anyway. At the end, mine were sharing feed from 5 feeders to preent the mad rush and the trampling. None of mine died from that, but I can see how it can happen. They are greedy guts and don't look.

Space your feeders out as much as you can too.

Alright, I have just about lost it I think. This morning one is dead at the feeder. This afternoon, all is well. Tonight, another squashed at the feeder. ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are your standard metal feeders with the sliding top that has holes in it. Something is wrong and this is really starting to bug me. I will be heading to the feed store first thing in the morning to get some new feeders as the troughs are out I think. That is 4 of 6 found dead slightly jammed under the feeder at the head. If I have another tomorrow morning I will head back and get a camera. Has anyone had this happen? The feeders are not together and have plenty of room around them.

Take the guard off the troughs...?

Mine were trampling each other at feeding time with plenty of feeder holes. But like hens piling in one nest when there's 20 others, chicks assume *that* chick has the good stuff....its all the same but if a chick has its head in the hole and a bully chick gives it a good nuff shove while its determined to dive in the feed ,it could snap a neck or knock it down hard nuff to get trampled by all the others too. :(

I agree with SunnySkies adding more feeders.

1st times the hardest due to the learning curve. Gotta do it to learn it and with chickens I've noticed, there's no One-by the book way of doing anything lol...making it even more frustrating at timeshang in there.

Make sure you check the wattage of the bulbs and keep the lamp the recommended distance you don't want to start a fire, brooder lights should really not be over 250 watts, I keep my birds a little cooler between 80-90 degrees they feather out faster.

Thanks everyone. I am heading out to pull the feeder guard right now. As for the lights, we are in the freezing temps at night and the brooder is 4x5 half open. The lights are high enough to not start a fire but they are definitely needing the heat but have plenty of room to escape it if it gets too much. Off to hopefully stop the insanity.

The round feeders you fill from the top or a 5 gallon bucket with a plant saucer on the bottom and holes drilled in at the sides might help. I am so sorry you keep finding them dead :(

Looking good today. They seem to be ok and I think the feeders may have been the culprit. Wish that would have been a bit more obvious at first and perhaps I would be sitting at 1-2 in losses.

Back
Top Bottom