First time with Meat Birds...starting to crow...is it time??

twinmom+1VT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Vermont
Hi,
This is our first time raising meat birds and we have 46 "red broilers". They are supposed to mature around 10-12 wks. I got ours on May 5th, and the roosters have been crowing now for about a week. Is it time to slaughter? I was scheduled to have them done on July 25th (a little less than 2 weeks away). Do you think I can hold out until this date or will the roosters get tough? It would be great if I can wait so some of the smaller ones can get a little bigger. Unfortunately, these birds are free-ranging in the pasture right by our bedroom window and start crowing each morning at 4am! I might need to get some earplugs
smile.png

Thanks!

Definately. I dont' think they start getting "tough" until they are over 8 months or so and even then I don't think its that bad. I have 18 roosters at home I'm hopefully going to process this weekend. They are from April 2nd and are quite noisy now (some just sound like broken kazoo's).

Good Luck!

I just took my CX roos to the amish as they do an excellent job cheap. Anyway, mine were 3 days shy of 12 weeks old and weighed between 14 and 10 pounds live weight. The roos were crowing. I froze some nice roasters. The kidneys, hearts, livers, and gizzards are all seperated in seal - a - meal bags for when my dad shows up.

I'd go for it... You could wait but sometimes it's not worth the trouble if they are getting to be a nuisance...
smile.png

Last edited:
Well at 9 weeks old now, you do have options. If you can wait, wait and they will be larger at butcher time. However, even now they would be good enough size to cook up for dinner. So it is just a preference of size. If you wait two more week their meat will NOT GET TOUGHER. They will be fine at 12 weeks. Have no fear.

Back
Top Bottom