First time with silkies boys or girls?

They are absolutely adorable! I call mine Fluffernuggets!🥰
Can’t really tell by the tail at this age!
Ah okay lol but the comb should help if I can navigate the fluff. How old before they usually start to crow? Any educational links would be awesome. I know chickens fairly well and turkeys but never had birds this small and fluffy. I try to guess and see if I'm right but always when I come here you all have yet to be wrong.

We have narragansett turkeys and wound up with a rare red gene. We love the look of the blonde girl.
IMG_20200928_091407.jpg

Just went out and took photos of my two white Silkies so you can see the difference between a male and a female tail, they are 18 weeks and there’s no real difference even at this age. Jane holds his tail a bit higher but it is equally puffy.
Mine were from Alabama Silkies hatching eggs as well.
I had mine feather tested for gender when they were seven weeks old. But now Jane who is my cockerel, has been crowing for the past three weeks so was roughly 3 and a half months of age when he started crowing.
He clearly has comb and wattle development now at this age as well.
Hope this helps!😊

ZELDA pullet

6267D5EB-528B-4F1A-8A14-B7AF40CD767E.jpeg

JANE cockerel

B6AC8FAE-D2A9-4E59-88EE-0EB2429ED42C.jpeg

Just went out and took photos of my two white Silkies so you can see the difference between a male and a female tail, they are 18 weeks and there’s no real difference even at this age. Jane holds his tail a bit higher but it is equally puffy.
Mine were from Alabama Silkies hatching eggs as well.
I had mine feather tested for gender when they were seven weeks old. But now Jane who is my cockerel, has been crowing for the past three weeks so was roughly 3 and a half months of age when he started crowing.
He clearly has comb and wattle development now at this age as well.
Hope this helps!😊

ZELDA pullet

View attachment 2354026

JANE cockerel

View attachment 2354040
This helps loads! Thank you!!!! It's dark already and after 10pm where I am. Thank you for doing that for me. I believe you are right and that bird is just too in the pecking order of the 5.

This helps loads! Thank you!!!! It's dark already and after 10pm where I am. Thank you for doing that for me. I believe you are right and that bird is just too in the pecking order of the 5.
You are quite welcome!
Post the comb photos when you can!
Silkies are a bit of an enigma in the chicken world, most people say you will know for sure when they crow or lay an egg!🤣

You are quite welcome!
Post the comb photos when you can!
Silkies are a bit of an enigma in the chicken world, most people say you will know for sure when they crow or lay an egg!🤣
So sorry it's been so long. Life has just been crazy all over the place messy! However I finally have some photos of them at 22 weeks old. First we have rocket born July 4th. He is the only one with a larger comb and it has a reddish color.

The Grey is racer and has a black comb that is more flat without ridges. All the other birds have the same dark and smooth flat comb.

I only included the better pictures.

Attachments

• 20201208_163503.jpg
    20201208_163503.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201208_163708.jpg
    20201208_163708.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201208_163610.jpg
    20201208_163610.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 7
Hello! Looks like they’re growing out nicely. From what I can tell in your photos Rocket is your only boy! The others look like pullets.😊

Back
Top Bottom