First Time With Winter

Have your 8 week olds been weaned off heat? What is the ambient temperature where they're currently housed? You need to gradually acclimate them to temperatures close to outdoor temperatures before moving them out.

As far as adulthood, with those temperatures there's no need to provide heat but you do want to provide good ventilation without drafts, so moisture can escape the coop but feathers remain unruffled to trap heat against the body. IF you're planning on locking the chickens in during cold spells (not recommended in most cases) you'd need a lot more space, at least 6-8 sq ft per bird in coop is recommended in cold climates where chickens may choose to spend days or weeks inside.
My chicks are no longer using the heat lamp and they are in the garage. The temperature right now stays around 18F. I tried talking to them in the coop without supplemental heat and they were not eating the next morning. I guess I'll have to wait till it gets warmer while they are stuck in the broooder.

Don't move them outside yet. Then as mentioned you could move them outside with some heat when it warms up in a couple of weeks. Not knowing your coop set up makes suggestions difficult. I have a coop and run. The run has some plastic over it. During the day when the sun is out the run is out of the wind and easily 10-15 degrees warmer than outside. Then at night they are in the coop which is smaller and stays pretty warm with their body heat. It is also insulated and has a good layer of straw and pine shavings in it.
I see what you're saying about not moving them outside. If I buy a supplemental heat source, the pullets would be spending all winter in there which I don't want since they have 3 Square feet per bird. When they are older maybe I should not give them heat in the coop so they will stay in there 16 square ft. per bird run most of the time.

Your chicks are pretty crowded in that brooder, and need more space. I'm assuming that they aren't still having extra heat by now; are they indoors, or in a garage? You could move them to your coop if you have some extra heat there for a short time. or double their space inside somehow.
Three sq. ft. is really tight for standard birds, and there should be more space, or fewer birds, in that coop.
Pictures and dimensions will help here! Let us see what your coop is like, and do you have electricity out there?
Mary
I really wish I could double their coop space but there is no room. Do you think I should just wait till it warms up to let them out? Even then next winter they would be stuck in their 3 square foot per bird coop if I add heat in there.

Yeah I'm currently in the process of roofing my 120 square foot run.
Great! Got pics?

Also..... Welcome to BYC! @ZANEYchickenguy
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1613144828954.png

My chicks are no longer using the heat lamp and they are in the garage. The temperature right now stays around 18F. I tried talking to them in the coop without supplemental heat and they were not eating the next morning. I guess I'll have to wait till it gets warmer while they are stuck in the broooder.

18F down to 5F shouldn't be an issue. Maybe the not eating was due to stress from waking up in an unfamiliar environment? But doesn't hurt to play it a bit safe, and wait a couple of weeks before moving them out, if that makes it feel safer to you.

Back
Top Bottom