First timer had two chicks die.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by calveryc, Feb 21, 2013.

1. calveryc

calveryc New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    I've had two Americaunas die in the last week. They are about three weeks old and they don't seem to be gaining size like my white Leghorns (that I keep in a separate cage.) My wife is a vet tech and she thinks they might have a parasite because as she says "their poop smells too stinky" I think she's crazy but she's taking a sample with her to work to test it. My question is what is the most common reason for losing chicks, do Americaunas gain weight slowly? and does her theory hold water? Thanks

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Chicken poop reeks but if it looks normal (no blood, etc) then I doubt just your Ams are infected. Some birds do develop slower than others. Are they true americaunas or are they EEs? If EE (they are likely to be EE if you got them anywhere but from a professional breeder) then they may have bloodlines from a slower breed. If they are eating, drinking and pooping ok I wouldn't worry too much.

as to why the other two died, can you think of anything else that might have affected them? What feed are they on, what is their setup like, has anything changed recently?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. calveryc

calveryc New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    I bought them from a breeder here locally that guarantees purebreeds and say they are NPIP contributors (whatever that means.) As far as their set up I don't think we did anything differently, they are on medicated chick starter, they always get clean water and fresh food and I keep it around 80 degrees or so. The first one I chalked up to just maybe it was sick but now that another died I'm just worried its something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by