1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First timer question. Need you input!!!!! Emergency..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pharm Girl, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    My chicken went broody so I put 6 fertilized eggs under her 3 days ago. I was planning on moving the other three chickens to the new coop tonight, but let them lay in the next box over from the broody for today. At some point, while we were out, she stopped sitting on her fertilized eggs and moved next door to the three unfertilized eggs the others laid. The fertilized eggs were cool when I got home. I immediately moved her back on the fertilized eggs and took all the others. She's now locked in by herself and the others will have to figure out the new coop tonight.
    Is it to late for this batch? Will they have perished while she sat upon the other eggs? I was worried this would happen and had planned to move all the others out tonight! Ugh..
    I don't know how to candle, though it can't be that hard.

What is your vote? Still good or bad news......?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    They might be OK. I've candled around day 6 or 7 and was able to see movement, before that it's too early to tell.
    Do you have any idea how long she might have been off the eggs?
    Keeping her completely separate with only the eggs you want her to sit on is a good move. I hope it works out for you.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I guess it depends on how cold they got. Only three days in....
    Well, you can do two things- keep her on the eggs and candle early to see development or toss them adnd start fresh.

4. Pharm Girl

Jan 6, 2011
    We left at 10am and she was on her eggs. I'm assuming the others laid their eggs throughout the day before she switched over. We got home at 4:30. Worst case, she was off them for 5 hours. Best case only two or three probably..
    Boo, I'm so sad about it. I had this all timed so perfectly.

Keep up the advice!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Off them for 5 hours? I'd keep at it.

Just my opinion. I have only hatched three times with an incubator, and hatched with a broody once.

6. Pharm Girl

Jan 6, 2011
    I should also mention that it was about 55 degrees out today. We don't live in freezing temps. Maybe that will be in my favor?

7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:Definately in your favor. Let her sit on them until enough days have passed to candle. You have nothing to lose and you'll only be, what, 10 days behind if you have to start over with fresh eggs?

8. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
  9. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Is there any chance you have an incubator? Maybe you could put a few fertile eggs in there to get them started and then have them going just in case you don't see anything when you candle. Just a thought. [​IMG]
    I hope it works out.

10. Pharm Girl

Jan 6, 2011
    Actually this thread has always scared me from getting an incubator. Temperatures, humidity, lock down, shrink wrapped chicks, power outages, yikes. We're in the city, so we only need/want a handful of chickens. I was hoping ms. broody could do the job cheaper and more efficiently, plus I love to watch nature at work. I also wanted her to do all the hard work of raising them. Guess I was wrong or unprepared or just plain 'on the learning curve'. That would be a great idea if I had one though. I plan on candling them in a couple of days and see if I can see anything. Maybe a few will be spared.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by