First-Timer Ready To Order Automatic Door and Waterer for New Coop

CVAN732000

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
South Central Michigan
So, this is my first time, both posting onto the forum and owning chickens. I have absolutely fell in love with my girls (3 Barrred Rocks, 3 Ameraucanas and 6 Buff Orpingtons) and cannot wait to see them moved out of my living room and out to a new coop that is being constructed for them. I've had them outside already on "field trips" and it's heart-warming to see them act like chickens in the dirt! So entertaining...

I have, without pressing the "checkout" button on a couple sites and spending $500 for the following items, nearly decided what I want for the new coop. I need to make a decision by this weekend, so I can get the door to the builder in the next couple weeks.

I plan on getting the Pullet-Shut auto door, with light sensor and solar panel, as well as a Chicken Fountain, nipple watering system. Before I spend any money, I was hoping some folks with these items would weigh in on them. I've ready posts here, but they are old, and I know the company I work for is always improving on it's products, so...please feel free to comment. Thank you!

I don't have an automatic door but I highly recommend one. The reason I haven't bought one is that I have 8 coops and am working on a system to automate all of them.

I also highly recommend the auto water systems. I've made my own and all but one coop is on auto water.

BTW
Welcome and get those birds out of the house.

Last edited:

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your new birds! Yes, I would hold off for a couple weeks till your weather warms up a bit before you take them out to the coop permanently. But yes, they love those field trips!!

I have never used automatic doors. I would be afraid somebody would get stuck out of the coop at night. LOL My predators are lurking when it is still dusk outside. So I can't help you with this. But you might post this question in our Coop Construction section as there are probably lots of members that have installed these doors that can give you some feed back...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck with your projects and welcome to our flock!

Thank you! I had read another thread where they got a little "heated" about the subject. Your link is much better! So it looks like I'll be ordering my Pullet-Shut this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom