First timer - Scared chicks

MendonMan

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 31, 2012
I've had chicks for 8 days now. 2 Buff Orps and 4 Barred Rocks. All pullets.

All are doing well health-wise. No issues.

They started in a plastic tub and have moved to a large box for more room. Temp is down to 90 degrees now.

Over the past couple of days they have started to be more scared when anyone is near the box. If you stand there and look in they are OK. If you do anything to adjust food, water, bedding etc, they beeline for the corner and huddle in a small mass. Stick your hand down to get one and it is a mad dash for all. They started out more calm, I might say "clueless chicks". Now they seem to understand the world around them and the people who talk to them, don't make sudden moves, and sing songs to calm them down appear as the "evil overlord".

Is the natural? Will they start to calm down again? I thought getting day-olds and handling everyday and talking to them would make super friendly chickens.

Any thoughts?

Charles

Glad your chicks are healthy! It's pretty normal for them to be scared of you at first. Perhaps they were a little confused about their surroundings when you first bought them home, but once they get over the shock they start to worry about other things, such as the big hands that keep coming in to change the water. :lol: Happened to me too. They gradually get used to you, and if you wanted the chicks to grow up knowing you then you made the right choice getting them young.

I got my first chicks 2 weeks ago. They were scared for a while, but I started feeding them out of my hand a few times a day (usually just their regular feed), and now they come running and jump into my hand even if there's no food in it. They don't like it if I touch/pet or try to pick them up (so I don't - I don't want to scare them), but they are definitely getting more used to my presence.

Back
Top Bottom