First Timer:Totally Lost:Chicken Tractors Safe???

SweetPeaBre

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
Hi. Im a first timer, and feeling it. I figured "how hard could it be?" How wrong was I! I have a MILLION questions and no one to bounce them off of. Im SO glad I found this group, you all sound amazing! Ill Keep it simple as I can.

1. I LOVE the PVC chicken tractor. Question is: HOW do you keep the Coons and the Fox out? Seems like they can just dig right under or pick it up??

2.Im incubating now, getting to be a nervous mamma, and want it all perfect. I have the Little Giant incubator. We live in FL, so its pretty warm to start. We put in 42 Rhode Island Red eggs yesterday, and Ive been checking on them practically non stop. The temperature was 108 last night at 3am! Are they OK?? Or did I kill them already? :eek:( Then I guess I overcompensated and when I woke up this morning it was 96. :eek:( It says to keep at 99 1/2 but there isnt a gauge, its a turning metal rod and you have to just guess? I didnt think it would be this hard?

Is it too late? Did I lose them? And maybe with all the silly questions chickens arent for me? My daughter is so looking forward to it. I just want a handful to live...we just want eggs and meat for the family. Supposed to go pick up week old Barred Rocks today, but I dont even know if they are supposed to still have a heat lamp? And Im afraid to put them in the tractor, I just know something will get to them.

I really appreciate ANY tips!

My experience with pvc chicken tractors are not good. I built one and the first night I had meaties out in it, I lost 4. Something just climbed right under it....no digging or anything. I immediately realized that it was NOT going to work for me. Do you have a picture of your tractor so that we can see where any weak points may be?

As far as the incubation, don't worry, with this being your first time, you're bound to feel like this. I have no experience with incubators (only the hen kind) so hopefully someone will chime in. But from previous threads, I'm sure they'll be fine. What day are you on?? You can always candle those eggs and that will let you know if they're ok or not.

Don't sweat it.....you'll get it
hugs.gif

We actually havn't even finished it yet. We werent planning on the chicks for a few more weeks, but the week olds Im buying today are too good a deal to pass up. Here is the link to the plans for the one we are building. http://www.pvcplans.com/PoultryPen.pdf Looks great, and everyone that posted pictures of theirs said they love it, I just cant figure out how they keep out predators?

Its been YEARS since I candled and egg, Im not sure I remember what Im looking for. And like I said its only day 2...
sad.png
I guess Ill just have to wait and see. Im planning on only having the hen kind once we get started, but laying hens here are averaging about $25 a hen. I dont remember them being quite so costly. So Im trying the egg route. I borrowed the incubator, so it was just all around more cost effective, unless that is I kill them all on the first night. UGH:idunno

THANK YOU BuffBeauty! Amazing info... Im not super computer savvy, Id never have found that on my own. Its overwhelming all the posts, but amazing info. THANK YOU!
big_smile.png

My guess from looking at the plans is that maybe this is more just for day use so they can get out in the grass and peck and scratch around and then you would put them up in a more secure coop at night? I sure wouldn't trust it for 24/7 use. JMO

Back
Top Bottom