First timer w/ LG incubator

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
Right now I am letting the temp even out just like the instructions say. I have some questions.
1) what does the humidity need to be for Chicken eggs?
2) How often do I need to turn them?
3) Should I use an egg carton to hold them?
4) Do i have to candel them? ( I don't have a candler yet)

Anything else i should know is welcome.

Thanks,
Mariah

This is what works best for me......

Answers to your questions

1) I keep my LG at a humidity level of 30 - 40 % the first 18 days - 60% the last three days in the hatcher

2) I turned my eggs 2 times a day, as close to every 12 hours as I could

2) I put the eggs in an egg carton when I put them in the hatcher

4) You don't HAVE to candle them, I do because I want any infertile eggs replaced with fertile ones as soon as possible.

I get about 80% hatch rate.....

Last edited:
I have one and love it. I bought a automatic egg turner for mine. Great investment. Mine is forced air.
1. humidity usually keep it around 30 the first 18 days and then it needs to be over 40 the last 3 days.
2. I use a automatic egg turner. Someone can tell you when they read your thread.
3. I use an egg carton the last 3 days.
4. I only candle mine on the 14th day. My husband uses a flash light and cut a hole out of a plastic cup (from Walmart). It works really well. We get in our pantry where it is really dark to candle them.
You shouldn't have the egg out more than 5 mins.

I bought a thermometer/humidity/hygrometer (all in one) at walmart. It is 7.00. It is made by Springfield. Great at keeping up the temp etc.

I am hatching bantams today. They are so tiny and cute.
What are you hatching? Good luck.

This is what I do. And it works for me. My hatch rate is 95 %.

Last edited:
I think the above poster meant to say "You don't want your eggs out of the incubator for more than 5 minutes" while you candle them.

Quote:
I just got some Jersey Giant eggs from Shadyglenn. I also have some RIR eggs coming. Thanks everyone. The temp has finally stabilized so the eggs are going in!
fl.gif

just keep in mined that the temps will go down when you set your eggs in the bator, and not to adjust it for 8 hours so the bator will have time to become stable

I got a spring field thermometer so hopefully it will be easier to tell temp. I'm rotating 3 times a day. I also threw in a few banty eggs from my girls.
wink.png

How does one adjust the humidity? I have asked this question on a different post, but noone has answered.. I have a LG with auto turner, I am on my 3rd try of hatching with no luck. I also cannot get it to stay at 95.5. I am so discouraged! AGH!

Back
Top Bottom