First timer with goslings on the way

LooseyGoosey

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
I have ducks, chickens, and quail. I just ordered hatchery choice goslings along with some ducks. What should I prepare for? How do they differ from their poultry counterparts? What advice would you give to a new mom (of geese)? LOL!
Thanks for your input! Im so excited to get these babies it's ridiculous :)

They are very similar to ducklings. Goslings are easy to raise from my experience and basically the same in needs to the ducklings. Goslings are more snugly and likely to climb you so they can be right by your face if you let them then ducklings. Goslings are more likely to happily follow you around if you let them as well. All the ducklings I have raised just didn't love people till they got near adulthood. Not dislike us exactly, just prefer to do their own ducky things and each other. Goslings are more affectionate then ducklings, at least until they turn in to ganders anyway.

Also as they age and turn into teens they really start liking toys or any thing that they think makes a toy. I don't see my ducks play or invent games except with water. Geese love toys and coming up with new games. I give mine dog toys, a 3 inch piece of PVC pipe and empty containers. They chew them to pieces and carry them around, play tug of war with them or put them in the pool. Mine started this when about half grown and have continued it ever since.

Thank you! That's very helpful. I thought I adored chicks until the first time I got ducklings. The ducks were much easier (despite a bit messier) and seemed much hardier. I didn't have any losses with the ducks early on like is common with chicks. So I'm envisioning geese being the same way!

Back
Top Bottom