Saoapril

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2017
MN
Hello! I'm new to raising chickens and we just got our first 17 yesterday! I have no idea what breeds I have. I bought a verity pack. I was heartbroken today as we lost one tonight. It had a pasty butt. I cleaned it and separate it from the others, kept it warm and try to revise it with some sugar water, egg yolk but it was to weak. I still don't know how I'm going to do it if I lose anymore. I found this sight looking for answer on how to help my chicks. It's the most useful as I'm looking for answers.
Thank you♥️

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us and congrats on your little flock.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ including how to raise chicks. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

Sorry for your loss. You may want to put "pasty butt," in the search box, to find ways to prevent & treat it. Infant puppies can also die from it , if their mother is not attentive to their needs.

Sorry for your loss. You may want to put "pasty butt," in the search box, to find ways to prevent & treat it. Infant puppies can also die from it , if their mother is not attentive to their needs.

Thank you, yes I've been doing lots of research on it.
Now I'm always checking their butts.

Help! One of my 4day old chick have no feathers on it's butt. I came and check next thing I know there was a big bald spot the size of a quarter. I'm scared the other chicken was picking at its butt so I remove it from the others and just put 1 other chick in there so it won't be lonely.

Hello! I'm new to raising chickens and we just got our first 17 yesterday! I have no idea what breeds I have. I bought a verity pack. I was heartbroken today as we lost one tonight. It had a pasty butt. I cleaned it and separate it from the others, kept it warm and try to revise it with some sugar water, egg yolk but it was to weak. I still don't know how I'm going to do it if I lose anymore. I found this sight looking for answer on how to help my chicks. It's the most useful as I'm looking for answers.
Thank you♥️
Welcome! I'm fairly new also. Bought 6 chicks at TSC in mid March, went back a week later and bought 6 more. I think I have 3 different types of chicks and a mix of males and females. Mostly females I hope. So far do good. Only issue I have is one of the chick, although looks healthy, it's about 1/3 of the size of the others. He/she eats a lot, can even get aggressive if I give them a banana once in a while as treats. Have fun, you will enjoy your chicks.

Welcome! I'm fairly new also. Bought 6 chicks at TSC in mid March, went back a week later and bought 6 more. I think I have 3 different types of chicks and a mix of males and females. Mostly females I hope. So far do good. Only issue I have is one of the chick, although looks healthy, it's about 1/3 of the size of the others. He/she eats a lot, can even get aggressive if I give them a banana once in a while as treats. Have fun, you will enjoy your chicks.
Awe ♥️ Yes after I got my 16 I wanted to get more. They are just too cute! I didn't know we can give them bananas when they are this small. That's nice to know. I would love to spoiled mine ♥️

Just wanted to say hi! And that this is a great place to learn and find help when you need it. I hope your new chicks keep doing well!
Hi! Thank you! Yes every time I google it brings me here and this is the most place I've found answer.

Back
Top Bottom