1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Timer!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QuirkySue, Jan 27, 2013.

1. QuirkySue

QuirkySue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    BC, Canada
    I have a lightly used, secondhand 1602n that I was given several months ago. Its a still air but has an egg turner. There is no thermometer or hygrometer (?) and no instructions. The previous owner jiffy markered some sections on the tray.

I found someone with 6 Ameracauna and 6 welsummer eggs that I will be picking up an hour away from me on Saturday.

I am so excited! ...and so nervous...and a little bit terrified! I need an "incubating for dummies" step by step manual! Anyone willing to walk a newbie through the process?

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    You might need athermometer and hydrometer to check the temps.

3. QuirkySue

Sep 19, 2012
    BC, Canada
    I'm going to pick up whatever I can find this week. There are a few feed stores I can try although all are pretty limited in what they carry.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Love you screen name!

Here are my notes Hatching Eggs 101 ~ Guide to ASSISTED Hatching ~ Mushy Chick Disease

5. QuirkySue

Sep 19, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Wow, that is a lot of information! Thank you very much for putting it together and pointing me in the right direction to find it.

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. QuirkySue

Sep 19, 2012
    BC, Canada
    I picked up my eggs today! I was given 6 extras at place #1...so I have 9 Buff Orps and 9 Coronation Sussex and then I got some cheaper eggs from a Craigslist lady 6 Welsummer and 6 Ameraucauna (probably EEs but they are pretty blue eggs)

They are sitting at room temp for a while but I'll be popping them in the bator soon. I might stick the extras under my broody. SO exciting!

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    AWESOME!!! YAY!!! [​IMG]

9. QuirkySue

Sep 19, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Day 15... Started with 30, with 6 under a broody and the rest in the bator. I am down to 21 now. One egg got kicked out of the nest 3 days ago and was quite cold and presumed dead, but I stuck it in the incubator just incase and it moved when I candled it tonight!!!! Another was knocked out a day later but it was clear. I candled the bator eggs tonight and removed the clears... Lost 8.

That means 6 of 9 4$ per egg Coronation Sussex eggs were duds. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by