First timer!

sheldavis

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
I started on (1/27/15) today is day 23 of the incubating process & I had one egg pip yesterday & started too crack but after about 8 hours it rolled itself over & just died. I can hear & see at least 2 other eggs still moving but I'm not sure if I should pull the dead one or if I should candle the others?

I started on (1/27/15) today is day 23 of the incubating process & I had one egg pip yesterday & started too crack but after about 8 hours it rolled itself over & just died. I can hear & see at least 2 other eggs still moving but I'm not sure if I should pull the dead one or if I should candle the others?
I would pull the dead one out quickly, and leave the others alone for another 24 if you are seeing movement. If you put them in the incubator on 1/27/15 then day 22 starts for you today. When counting you don't count the day you set. So if you set them on 1/27 say at noon, day on would start 1/28 at noon and day two would start 1/29 at noon and so on. So yesterday would have been day 21. Generally if you set them on a Tuesday, you should expect the hatch to start on a Tuesday three weeks later. If you average temp has been a little low during incubation, you might have a hatch that is a day or two late.
It's also a good idea to eggtopsy the one that died and see if you can pin down the reason. It might help in future hatches if you know what went wrong.

Are you positive the one that pipped died? If it rolled over and you can't see, it may just be resting. It can take 24 hours for a chick to hatch out after pip. Mine averaged between 12-18 hours to hatch after external pips.

The one that piped ended up back up right so I could see & I've not heard or seen him it move since! The inside looks all dried up & I can see that some of the yolk wasn't absorbed & I see a little blood! Like I said I went into this just thinking it's easy but am prepared to do the next bunch just right. Hopefully! This page is a lot of help!

The one that piped ended up back up right so I could see & I've not heard or seen him it move since! The inside looks all dried up & I can see that some of the yolk wasn't absorbed & I see a little blood! Like I said I went into this just thinking it's easy but am prepared to do the next bunch just right. Hopefully! This page is a lot of help!
I definitely wouldn't call it easy....lol First hatch is more of a learning experience than anything. Ya, I'd pull the one that pipped out and if it is dead I'd definitely do an eggtopsy. If not (dead), wrap the egg in a wet paper towel and put it back in the bator. Good luck!!

I pulled it I opened it up & there was no yolk left or blood but when it tipped over last night I seen for about 2 breaths it was clear bubbles

Back
Top Bottom