First timer

kimismurf

In the Brooder
May 2, 2015
Randleman, NC
[/IMG]This is my first time incubating/hatching eggs. I really hope my incubator is put together properly. I built it myself. Tomorrow I will actually turn it on and make sure I can get the levels right. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Are you using a thermostat? I didn't see one in the photos.

Do you have a fairly good number of small ventilation holes to allow for good air exchange?

Do I need a thermometer? The digital one takes temp but I can pick one up today. The lid allows air exchange but I have a port hole on the side for oxygen where I removed the handle.

A thermostat will turn the bulb on and off to maintain the correct temp, do you have one? They can be bought fairly cheaply, and are easy to wire in. If you don't want to go that route, you could buy a dimmer switch. If you monitor closely, are home most of the time, have the bator in a stable temp location, and your house temp doesn't fluctuate much, that might work for you. Without either of these options, you're facing a real challenge. You can check that thermometer for accuracy against a digital medical fever thermometer. Have you read all of Hatching 101 in the learning center? IMO, it's a must read before incubating. Happy hatching!!!!

Props for taking on the DIY incubator. I've thought about it, but it scares me...lol I don't think I could get it right.... My question is humidity. Do you know what method you want to use for controlling humidty? I recommend the low humidity incubation methods for styrofoam bators especially. Wether you do low humidity incubations (otherwise improperly known as the dry method) or standard incubatioin practices the best way to monitor and control humidity is through the size of the air cells. You might find this interesting/informative, if you are interested: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity This is the method I use. Hope you have good luck!

Thanks for the info. I have been reading about dry incubation and then adding in more water at the right time towards the end. I will monitor them and make sure the temp stays where it needs to be. I have read so many blogs and watched so many videos. I'm hoping for at least half my eggs to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom