First Timers about to build a coop and run!

We live in a highly populated suburban area, but we still have deer, raccoon, foxes, hawks, neighborhood dogs, and occasional black bear roaming in the area.

To be as worry free as possible, we used 1/2" hardware cloth covered the entire bottom frame and floor of the elevated coop, the entire run bottom and sides of the run, and every coop window and vent openings. As long as my chickens are inside the run or coop, they are safe.

Most people would bury a skirt of hardware cloth around the run to deter predators from digging into the run. However, I have heard a story on BYC where a neighborhood dog tunnel much farther away than 12" to 18" of the hardware skirt protection and got inside the coop to destroy the entire flock. A friend of mine in NC had some predator rip out the hardware cloth by pulling on the skirt portion. Bad and sad outcomes on both instances.

Since hardware cloth is very expensive, you have to decide on how much to use and how best to fortify with what you have like others have suggested. If you have a large run, putting hardware cloth on every face is not economical. Most people recommend the 1/2" openings not bigger, so the predators can't reach in to grab the chickens. Never use chicken wire as a protection, it is only good to fence of a chicken activity area, not to keep the predators at bay.

Do provide as much ventilation as possible in the coop, estimate at least 1 sq feet of ventilation opening on the coop walls per chicken. Some can be passive ventilation such as opening in the eaves and vent holes, some can be active ventilation such as operable windows. All cooped up is no fun for the chickens without fresh air and natural light.

We keep our windows, vents and coop door opened 24/7. There were two nights this past winter where we had to close all the coop windows due to severe snow storms, but I left the coop door open anyway since our run is very secure.

We have a clear corrugated plastic roof on the run, my girls love it, they are outside all day long no matter what the weather condition. You have to decide on the roofing material based on the weather condition in your area.

The best chicken coops or poultry houses have several characteristics in common:

1. The chicken coop should protect your backyard flock from hungry predators such as weasels, hawks and your neighbor’s Golden Retriever.

2. The coop should be constructed of economical building material that’s easily available to you (not applicable if you’re purchasing a pre-manufactured cage or coop).

3. It should be strong and sturdy enough to stand up against unfavorable weather, such as summer winds or winter snowstorms .

4. The coop should provide your chickens with the right balance between enclosed shelter and open ventilation.

5. It should be easy to clean and budget-friendly to maintain.

6. The chicken coop should be big enough for your backyard chickens.

All the best!

As you can see from the pics, we are also surrounded by woods and needed a fortress of a chicken coop.

We build the "Triple C" coop from this website's Medium Coop section. We put hardware cloth under the foundation, followed by gravel, followed by topsoil. The "walls" of the run are all hardware cloth, the doors of the coop all have padlockable locks that we have "locked" with carbiner clips.

Here's a pic from the start of construction where you can see the hardware cloth under the 4 x 4s that we used as foundation

We couldn't bury hardware cloth because our ground is all slate with very little topsoil.

The run is actually secure enough for the chickens to have access to it at night, but we lock them up in the coop anyway just to make doubly sure they're safe since the coop is elevated and offers that extra layer of protection.

Last edited:
EEEKK. He's out there right now. Just "winging" it with his design. I keep trying to push him to pick out a set of plans and he wants nothing to do with that. Ugh. :( He's got his HC and I told him we need two big window panels on hinge (with HC lined), and he had to bury the HC out 18 inches from where it comes down. I said I need a door to the coop and a door to the run. The rest is up to him I guess.
hmm.png
Crossing fingers!

DreySander, His idea, based on what he explained to me, looks very similar to yours actually!

We have 5 acres in rural ND. we ran electric fence the whole perimeter 3 lower strands the first being abut 6-8" off the ground and a 4th on top to keep the cows out..... I guess we will see this summer if it keeps my dogs inside and keeps predetors outside the fence. .... also invest in a .17hmr. I got one and its deadly accurate looking at getting a night scope for coyotes stalking around at night. ...

Back
Top Bottom