First Timers Having Issues

Padfoot417

Chirping
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Massachusetts
Hey all, my neighbors have started raising chickens for the first time, ad they went with 6 egg layers and 6 Cornish crosses. The Cornish were doing great, up until now. I went to look at them today, and my favorite (naturally) KJ, was flipped on his back, dead. After reading through the forums, (I myself only have egg layers) I determined that he must've had a heart attack...I know he hadn't been healthy because he was growing too fast, he was sneezing frequently and breathing heavily. The thing I'm confused about (and obviously devastated) is that his wing had broken as well. The bone was popped out of the skin and bloody. I think he must've just fallen on it, but I'm not positive. Nothing got in and attacked them, that much I do know.
Anyway, the issue now is that one of the others has an issue with its leg. I guess it had jumped from the box they were bringing them out back with, and has been limping since. I looked close at it today and figured out the joint itself had popped forward. The leg is skewed weirdly and the poor thing can hardly move. I had to hold her while she drank because she hadn't all day. I don't want to hurt her more but I want to help her! hopefully without culling too soon...but it's unfair for her to suffer...
Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know much about meat birds, so I could really use the advice as well...thank you to anyone who can help.

It seems to me you have a lot of assumptions including that their feed is bad, why? what factually ( not your opinion ) is wrong with it? And your neighbors are not on here to defend themselves maybe you Need to approach them with your concerns you never know you just may be able to assist them if you can be a little less opinionated

They aren't even 4 weeks yet, so are on starter/grower. It's Dumor, I hate that particular brand because I feel it's cheap, but they aren't my birds.

Are they being freely fed? I don't have a great attitude towards Dumor to be honest. I had to pick up some on Sunday after I stupidly ran out of starter and the feed store was closed. It smells funny and the chickens don't really care for it. Nonetheless, I wouldn't think it was the brand of food. It sounds, as you said, that they are growing too fast.

It seems to me you have a lot of assumptions including that their feed is bad, why? what factually ( not your opinion ) is wrong with it? And your neighbors are not on here to defend themselves maybe you Need to approach them with your concerns you never know you just may be able to assist them if you can be a little less opinionated

Okay let me get this straight, my neighbors are my friends and I'm trying to help them because I'm the only other person they know who has chickens. I know a bit about meat birds, but not enough to want to have any, I feel it's not worth the heart ache.
Secondly, how I feel about the food isn't exactly as important as the fact that this young bird is suffering. I'm looking for answers on how to help them help it. My neighbor was with me when I made the post, they don't need to defend themselves; the food was bought out of convenience.

Are they being freely fed? I don't have a great attitude towards Dumor to be honest. I had to pick up some on Sunday after I stupidly ran out of starter and the feed store was closed. It smells funny and the chickens don't really care for it. Nonetheless, I wouldn't think it was the brand of food. It sounds, as you said, that they are growing too fast.

Yes, they are, and I know that's rapidly becoming the issue. When they were about 2 weeks old I said they should probably start limiting their food consumption, but unfortunately that went by the wayside, I know they're busy people so it's not like I can blame them for forgetting. I don't like Dumor because I feel it's just cheaply processed food with mostly corn and little nutrition...my girls were doing terrible on it, that's why I was initially worried about the cornish since it seems like they react very badly if something isn't right...

Maybe your post to me should have been your first post it's worded a lot different but conveys the same message.

I apologize you took it that way but yeah I'm very upset that this had to happen to KJ and yes maybe I am being more critical than I think. I'm very heart broken over this little bird, as stupid as I knew it was to get attached he was still my little buddy. I guess I'm upset because I know I would've remedied the situation far sooner, but unfortunately they aren't mine and I'm not just gonna barge in like I own the place.
Now I'm just hoping I can help this other one from dying too soon, and being in more pain than any animal should be. My neighbors are not bad people or anything like that, they just did their research too late in the game, and I guess since I only have egg layers they didn't think I was right about limiting their food intake.

Back
Top Bottom