1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First try at letting the big chicks with the lil ones...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thndrdancr, Oct 22, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I let the big girls out with the little Lily and Dash, since they are close to 8 weeks and at least big enough to not get hurt if pecked hard. I thought I would try this on the weekend, since I have help if I need and it was the "last" super nice day.
    I cant say it went too well, the chicks ended up in the front yard, while the big girls were in the back yard. Red charged them repeatedly, and they scurried off. Fussy was better but did charge a couple of times,when she saw Red do it. Lily and Dash of course were very afraid, but.... once Fussy (the big hen) had her back turned pecking thru the tomato plants, Lily came up behind her and gave her a big ol peck in the behind and then ran!
    Actually I was suprised Lily was scared, cuz she is a character one, but I think she was only scared cuz Dash kept squealing like a pig and Red kept targeting the poor thing, probably because she is so fun to watch run an squeal! Dash would run and squeal just looking at the big chickens, and it was freaking Lily out!
    [​IMG]

Yes, Cyn, your little crazy chick is a riot!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Now, how many things could provide you with that much pure entertainment? Glad you're enjoying her. She and Dash will find their place in your little flock; after all, they aren't really outnumbered and they just need to find that out.

3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well it was really funny. I am not sure the big chickens would have reacted that way. What happened is I had the little girls out for a while, in the front, where the big girls pen is. They are pretty used to this by now. Well, I opened the big girls pen, they ran out and started having a ball in the yard, scratching, pecking etc.
    Dash took one look, thought "OMG, the BIG MONSTERS ARE OUT" and like I said, they were totally ignoring her, but she squealed and ran like there was no tomorrow. Of course, who could resist? I think I would have chased her too! [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    How funny. Yes, they will adjust. As long as no blood is drawn then let them find their pecking order. Sounds like Lily will stand up to them..her own "back-door" way. [​IMG] I have three chooks who were hatched and raised by a hen and they had been outcasts for several weeks but now have found their place within the flock. It amazed me how they stood up for themselves after the initial fear passed. [​IMG]

5. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    It's always a kerfuffle, isn't it? Let them be, even though it's hard to watch them get chased around. It'll work itself out in a few weeks. Make sure you have food and water in a few different spots so they can eat wherever they are.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by