First Turkey Egg!

Mmfarm119

Chirping
Jul 26, 2020
I was outside about to put all the chickens, turkeys and ducks in the cage for the night when I watched out of the corner of my eye, 1 of my turkeys laid there first egg. I know very little about turkeys. How often do they lay? Are they similar to chickens with there laying? Any insight on turkeys and turkey eggs would be appreciated! 😊

Attachments

• Snapchat-1134255819.jpg
    Snapchat-1134255819.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 10
I was outside about to put all the chickens, turkeys and ducks in the cage for the night when I watched out of the corner of my eye, 1 of my turkeys laid there first egg. I know very little about turkeys. How often do they lay? Are they similar to chickens with there laying? Any insight on turkeys and turkey eggs would be appreciated! 😊
Turkeys are normally seasonal layers. They usually begin laying in the spring of the year following when they were hatched. If prevented from going broody, they are capable of laying into the fall. If allowed to go broody, hatch and raise a clutch, a hen may only lay the eggs for that first clutch and be done laying until the following spring.

My hens usually start laying in mid March and stop laying in October. I have one that was allowed to raise poults this year. She stopped laying in June and will not lay again until next spring.

In my coop, I already have fake eggs. These nesting boxes are used by my chickens in which my turkeys do share a coop with. What would you recommend?
Turkey hens need a much bigger nest than a chicken does. I have seen turkeys squeeze into chicken nesting boxes which ends up with broken eggs.

One of the simplest nest sites is to lean a pallet or boards against a wall. Nests do need to be protected from the toms. A tom will take a hen sitting on a nest as permission to breed. These unwanted breeding attempts can result in broken eggs, an injured hen or at the worst a dead hen.

Turkey hens need a much bigger nest than a chicken does. I have seen turkeys squeeze into chicken nesting boxes which ends up with broken eggs.

One of the simplest nest sites is to lean a pallet or boards against a wall. Nests do need to be protected from the toms. A tom will take a hen sitting on a nest as permission to breed. These unwanted breeding attempts can result in broken eggs, an injured hen or at the worst a dead hen.
Thank you so much for this information. I will have to make a bigger nest. Is there any other tips or information you have for me? I have 1 other turkey but I think its male but it may be female. We think its a male because it has the beard. How often does a turkey lay?

I will have to take some pictures of them tomorrow to post. They are almost 6 months old I believe. Attached are pictures of the beard but I havent taken good pictures them in a while. I will have to watch my turkeys for a while to make sure I get all the eggs.

Attachments

• Snapchat-4953016.jpg
    Snapchat-4953016.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Snapchat-906233605.jpg
    Snapchat-906233605.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 5
Post pictures. Hens can have beards. The beards don't tend to be as heavy as those of a tom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lets-see-your-bearded-turkey-hens.1325640/

Some hens will lay an egg every other day. Some will lay two days in a row and then skip a day. Some may even lay as many as four days in a row before skipping a day.
I have done some research on BYC and I am almost positive I have 2 females. They are 6 months old and there snoods are small, cranucles are small. 1 has a beard. I think I have 2 females. They are 6 months old and im yold the tom would be more noticeable.

Turkeys are normally seasonal layers. They usually begin laying in the spring of the year following when they were hatched. If prevented from going broody, they are capable of laying into the fall. If allowed to go broody, hatch and raise a clutch, a hen may only lay the eggs for that first clutch and be done laying until the following spring.

My hens usually start laying in mid March and stop laying in October. I have one that was allowed to raise poults this year. She stopped laying in June and will not lay again until next spring.
Thank you for the information!

I also want to ask does anyone have any idea how to get the turkeys to go in a specific spot such as the nesting boxes. I want to make sure I get all the laid eggs and mine free range.

Back
Top Bottom