First Winter Advice

ourduckismilo

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2019
Iowa
Hello! As some of you may know, winter is approaching, and its coming fast! And it also happens to be our Jumbo Pekin duck's first winter. I've been browsing a lot online to try to find out how to make her outdoor enclosure suitable for the chilly whether, but almost all of it is targeted towards flocks of multiple ducks.

Until the spring, Milo is our only duck and I'm scared that without the extra body heat from other ducks that she won't make it. I could be wrong, and I know that ducks can survive pretty frosty temps, but I haven't come across anything about a single duck.

Does anyone have any tips or advice about how to keep her warm and happy throughout the winter. Where I am, its starting to be in the 10-20degree (F) range, and very windy and I want to get on top of things before the weather gets to its winter peak.

Another thing I wanted to mention, after my husband and I get her winter coop set up, I was looking into getting one more duck to keep give her companionship and to help with the cold and keeping warm. Would that be a good idea?

Last edited:
Bring her inside with you. You'll want to get those Duck Diaper things and put her in an area that's fairly easy to clean and maintain. Puppy Pads are probably a must. Even without the low temperature, as I understand it ducks tend to be psychologically fragile and get lonely very easily.

Bring her inside with you. You'll want to get those Duck Diaper things and put her in an area that's fairly easy to clean and maintain. Puppy Pads are probably a must. Even without the low temperature, as I understand it ducks tend to be psychologically fragile and get lonely very easily.

We used to keep her indoors with us until about 3 months old when her pooping became unmanageable in the house. So unfortunately we can't keep her in the house. She's also had a temporary home inside of a garage, which we could spruce up for longer-term living if she needs it in the winter, we just thought that she would like the fresh air of the yard better. We are also considering getting another duck as a companion for her during the winter rather than waiting until the spring.

Do you have a duck house? Those temps are not very cold for ducks, especially a large duck. You just need to protect him from the wind and some dry bedding is good as well. Seal up cracks in your duck house but make sure it has vents above duck level, and set up a wind block outside.

Do you have a duck house? Those temps are not very cold for ducks, especially a large duck. You just need to protect him from the wind and some dry bedding is good as well. Seal up cracks in your duck house but make sure it has vents above duck level, and set up a wind block outside.

We just moved and are ordering one online, it should be here by the end of next week. It is a small house with an opening for a door that we are going to make a closable door for, and are going to attach a run to it with mesh wire and 2x4's. The vent is on top right below the roof. With wind chill by that time, it will be below zero.

We are also considering getting another duck as a companion for her during the winter rather than waiting until the spring.
How much time do you spend with her? If both of you have work with no one else around to keep her company, getting another duck is a must. Ducks are extremely social and having no one else might start to get depressing for Milo. If you have a kid, that would be different :lau
As long as you have somebody around to keep her company all day long, you’ll be good for that, and if you don’t, you might want to get another duck pretty soon.

P.S. You should probably get another female. If it is another female I personally think you can get whatever breed, but think larger breeds, not like a Cayuga or something. Since you have a jumbo Pekin, if you get a male, I wouldn’t get another jumbo pekin. Males can weigh more then 4 lbs more then the female and so, well, it’s a lot to carry for the female:duc
Good luck, have a great day, and keep updating for us! :)

Good ventilation is a must in any poultry house to prevent frost bite and respiratory issues. So nice thick bedding which will need to be cleaned an added often to prevent ammonia build up. No air flow right across the duck. If at all possible at least a girl friend to keep her company until you bring in your ducklings next spring and grow them out so they can be Milos flock.

We just moved and are ordering one online, it should be here by the end of next week. It is a small house with an opening for a door that we are going to make a closable door for, and are going to attach a run to it with mesh wire and 2x4's. The vent is on top right below the roof. With wind chill by that time, it will be below zero.
Make sure your mesh wire is hardware cloth, 1/2" so that no predators can get her. You've got to cover the top too.

Back
Top Bottom