First Winter in Maryland covered run should it be wrapped in winter?

We are in the corner of Maryland/ Delaware/PA line. Last year we didnt see any snow and temps normally dont see single digits here at night. It could happen but not a normal evening night thing. One side of the Run is beside a hedgerow of trees which protects it from bad wind, the other side isnt too bad either. I am thinking maybe putting a few bales of straw for them to get behind but they can also go in the coop.
Nice setup, and it's roofed which helps since that keeps out a lot of snow and some rain. I really don't think you need much winterization at all given your description and photos, at most, maybe covering the majority of the run wall facing predominant winds, or since it sound like your husband is handy, building a few small shelters from scrap to toss into the run for winter months (which would probably be easier and can be reused for many years).

We are in the corner of Maryland/ Delaware/PA line. Last year we didnt see any snow and temps normally dont see single digits here at night. It could happen but not a normal evening night thing. One side of the Run is beside a hedgerow of trees which protects it from bad wind, the other side isnt too bad either. I am thinking maybe putting a few bales of straw for them to get behind but they can also go in the coop.
My front yard is DE my back MD and we're a spit from PA neighbor- howdy neighbor. We've had the girls probably for 7 years and they've been in an outdoor run without any trouble all that time although our Polish girls spend a lot of time in the coop. We have a Sicilian Buttrcup which I read doesn't like the cold but she doesn't seem to have any problems

My front yard is DE my back MD and we're a spit from PA neighbor- howdy neighbor. We've had the girls probably for 7 years and they've been in an outdoor run without any trouble all that time although our Polish girls spend a lot of time in the coop. We have a Sicilian Buttrcup which I read doesn't like the cold but she doesn't seem to have any problems
Howdy neghbor, yes so far the girls seem to be fine with the covered run and colder weather. Thank You for the Info

I see so many posts but couldn’t really find anyone in my area. My chickens so far seem to enjoy the cooler temperatures (28 at night and 32-50 in days). Wondering if there is any need to wrap the fully covered run in plastic? My hens have access to their coop all day but seem to hang in the covered run. This is our first year in winter temps. What temps are a concern for wrapping the run? I currently just change their water often to keep from freezing. We do not currently have electric at the coop or run. Thank you
I would not. It gets -20° here in Michigan on occasion and my run is all open. My coop is in my barn and they have 2 stalls that the run is attached to. They hang out in there most of the snowy days. And then I'll open the whole barn to them so they can explore a little.

I would not. It gets -20° here in Michigan on occasion and my run is all open. My coop is in my barn and they have 2 stalls that the run is attached to. They hang out in there most of the snowy days. And then I'll open the whole barn to them so they can explore a little.
We have come to conclusion to let the cool air in the run. We are not going to enclose it. It is covered and they have plenty of places to roost to get off the ground if they choose. And the Coop if they want to go in. Thank You for your reply

Back
Top Bottom